Abnormal Program Termination Installing BC++ 5

I am attempting to install BC++ 5 on a Windows 98 system.   (It was
previously installed and deleted.)  I get the following message:   "Abnormal
Program Termination instrun.exe."   I ran the registry clean program and
still get the message.   Any ideas?

Re:Abnormal Program Termination Installing BC++ 5

BC++ 5.02 installed on my Win98 machine without complaint, so I must guess
as to how to handle this.  No guarantees, but if it were my machine, here is
what I would do:

-Defrag the disk.
-Shut down then start (don't "Restart").
-Go into Control Panel and do Add/Remove Programs
  and look for and entry for the compiler.  If you find
  one, click the Add/Remove button to remove it.
-Now install the compiler USING THE DEFAULT PATH
  THE INSTALL PROGRAM WANTS TO USE

The default path is important.  Many people install it into a path that has
directory names that are long names or have spaces into them or which have
characters which are invalid under the 16 bit DOS/Win3.1x file system that
many of the BC++ tools use.

If it still fails to install, repeat the defrag, shut down, restart,
Add/Remove cycle then reboot to safe mode and install in safe mode.

.  Ed

Re:Abnormal Program Termination Installing BC++ 5

Are you trying to install it from a CDROM, or from a zip file that you
downloaded off the internet somewhere ?

If you are trying to install from CD, try preventing the CD autorun by
holding down the shift key as you insert the disk.  Then manually run
the setup program from Explorer or the Run dialog, instead of letting
instrun.exe do it.

John M.

"Paul Weinberg" <weinb...@temple.edu> wrote in message

> I am attempting to install BC++ 5 on a Windows 98 system.   (It was
> previously installed and deleted.)  I get the following message:
"Abnormal
> Program Termination instrun.exe."   I ran the registry clean program
and
> still get the message.   Any ideas?

Other Threads