BriefCase Model

I have a decision to make and would like some input from fellow
developers. I am planning on using Storedprocedures for updating all
main tables within the Database of an application currently under
development.
In a Master/Detail scenario, the detail table's contents are copied to a
memory table, modified and then saved back to the detail table, which
would then call a storedprocedure to update the master table. This allos
me to keep the processing of resyncing the master table on the server
instaed of in code, because other applications would need to talk to
certain tables in the Database and in order to avoid duplicate code in
all mini-applets, keep the updating of main tables central.
The database consist of 21 lookup tables and 15 master/15 detail tables.

The question is for normal working environment Client/Server, all users
connect to the Database, this would be okay, what would happen if the
Briefcase model is introduced here. There would be scenarios, where a
user e.g. a buyer goes out to suppliers/trade shows and places orders
for new items and or raises purchase orders for displayed goods. This
would need the Briefcase model to work. How can this fit in with the
idea of storedprocedures as mentioned above. A purchase order represents
a typical master/detail setting.

Any suggestions.

Environment : Delphi 5 Enterprise, ADO (bundled), Windows 98,
MS Access 2000, MSDE.

--
Arnold Johnson

Re:BriefCase Model

You need to look at how MTS works. This should lead you in the right
direction.
Though MTS is just one option of many.

"Arnold Johnson" <Arno...@win-pro.demon.co.uk> wrote in message

> I have a decision to make and would like some input from fellow
> developers. I am planning on using Storedprocedures for updating all
> main tables within the Database of an application currently under
> development.
> In a Master/Detail scenario, the detail table's contents are copied to a
> memory table, modified and then saved back to the detail table, which
> would then call a storedprocedure to update the master table. This allos
> me to keep the processing of resyncing the master table on the server
> instaed of in code, because other applications would need to talk to
> certain tables in the Database and in order to avoid duplicate code in
> all mini-applets, keep the updating of main tables central.
> The database consist of 21 lookup tables and 15 master/15 detail tables.

> The question is for normal working environment Client/Server, all users
> connect to the Database, this would be okay, what would happen if the
> Briefcase model is introduced here. There would be scenarios, where a
> user e.g. a buyer goes out to suppliers/trade shows and places orders
> for new items and or raises purchase orders for displayed goods. This
> would need the Briefcase model to work. How can this fit in with the
> idea of storedprocedures as mentioned above. A purchase order represents
> a typical master/detail setting.

> Any suggestions.

> Environment : Delphi 5 Enterprise, ADO (bundled), Windows 98,
> MS Access 2000, MSDE.

> --
> Arnold Johnson

Re:BriefCase Model

I realize this isn't part of your original request but
Wouldn't it be better to update the Masters with triggers on the Details?
Stored Procs are one way of ensuring integrity but it doesn't work well
interactively
One of the major adv of SQL7 (MSDE) is the multiple triggers
I use a Case tool which generates triggers for RI and I script triggers for
DI

This way your front end can be simple - and the backend maintains RI and DI

--
Regards Neven

N.K. MacEwan B.E. E&E

Other Threads