Delphi 7 with Windows NT4 & 95

We have a lot of customers with Windows NT4 and some who still haveWindows
95.  What is the best advice about upgrading and installing Delphi 7?  I
suppose the official advice should be don't upgrade, but I'd rather not stop
there.

It's fine for us to run Delphi 7 under Windows 2000/XP, but we do need our
apps to run under NT4 & Windows 95.  I don't imagine that much has changed
in working code within Delphi, so my guess is that apps that would compile
under Delphi 5/6 should also work on NT4 and Win 95 when compiled with
Delphi 7.  Does anyone have any experience of success/failure with this?

Even if it does work, it doesn't seem a great idea to go ahead unsupported.
It might be in Microsoft's interest to stop supporting these operating
systems, but Borland isn't Microsoft.  Surely it is in Borland's interest to
help developers who have clients with NT4 & Win 95 to upgrade to Delphi 7?
Is there any chance that Borland will go ahead and test Delphi 7 apps for
use with Windows 95 & NT4?

Re:Delphi 7 with Windows NT4 & 95

Jon Stewart wrote:
> Is there any chance that Borland will go ahead and test Delphi 7 apps
> for
> use with Windows 95 & NT4?

I have D7 installed on 95 for test purposes.  I had to install the M$ DCOM
update to 95 but it seems to work fine.

Jim

Jon Stewart wrote:

> Is there any chance that Borland will go ahead and test Delphi 7 apps for
> use with Windows 95 & NT4?

No Borland will not certify on OSes that are no longer supported by maker of the
OS.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)   On waves of silver I dreamed of gold
(Please do not email    'Till I lost the peace that dreaming gives

Re:Delphi 7 with Windows NT4 & 95

AFAIK if you install the DCOM update (find it from
www.microsoft.com/data, I think) then later Delphi programs will run on
Win95 as well as the compiler.

Andrew

"Jeff Overcash (TeamB)" <jeffoverc...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> Jon Stewart wrote:

> > Is there any chance that Borland will go ahead and test Delphi 7 apps
for
> > use with Windows 95 & NT4?

> No Borland will not certify on OSes that are no longer supported by maker
of the
> OS.

Short sighted -- particularly on the NT4 front.

But  since when did 'certification' of this nature actually mean anything.
By the
time you work out there's a problem and make any claim against the vendor
your
project is usuually well stuffed anyway :( And it doesn't do anything for
strange
behaviours and bugs at application level either.

Other Threads