Board index » delphi » Windows 2000 / BP 7.0

Windows 2000 / BP 7.0

I have an application that is compiled under Borland Pascal 7.0.  I
recently ran it under Windows 2000.  The app works fine, but when I
close it, I get an error message that it caused a General Protection
Fault.

Is there something that could be causing this?  Any suggestions on how
to work around this (maybe a PIF file, or some equivalent)?

Thanks

 

Re:Windows 2000 / BP 7.0


In article <24f624e1.0201090951.11798...@posting.google.com>,

Quote
Randy Goetz <rgo...@toyon.com> wrote:
>I have an application that is compiled under Borland Pascal 7.0.  I
>recently ran it under Windows 2000.  The app works fine, but when I
>close it, I get an error message that it caused a General Protection
>Fault.

>Is there something that could be causing this?

Buggy program.

Quote
> Any suggestions on how to work around this (maybe a PIF file, or some
> equivalent)?

Fix the bug.

--
john R. Latala
jrlat...@golden.net

Re:Windows 2000 / BP 7.0


Quote
<jrlat...@shell.golden.net> wrote in message

news:a1m216$c57$1@shell.golden.net...

Quote
> In article <24f624e1.0201090951.11798...@posting.google.com>,
> Randy Goetz <rgo...@toyon.com> wrote:
> >I have an application that is compiled under Borland Pascal 7.0.  I
> >recently ran it under Windows 2000.  The app works fine, but when I
> >close it, I get an error message that it caused a General Protection
> >Fault.

> >Is there something that could be causing this?

> Buggy program.

One thing I really love about these people who just wanna get their name in
lights.. err.. or a newsgroup...Is come up with a reply that has really
little use.

Randy> Load up BP7, load your program, set breakpoints at where your
application starts the shutdown process.Trace through it, and make sure that
all objects and references are properly cleared, and so on.  If BP crashes
start a trace from start to finish, and see whats being declared and whats
not being freed properly.

Quote
> > Any suggestions on how to work around this (maybe a PIF file, or some
> > equivalent)?

> Fix the bug.

> --
> john R. Latala
> jrlat...@golden.net

Re:Windows 2000 / BP 7.0


In article <ViD%7.15111$p04.3911...@news20.bellglobal.com>,

Quote
Stephen <idontk...@somewhere.asdf> wrote:

><jrlat...@shell.golden.net> wrote in message
>news:a1m216$c57$1@shell.golden.net...
>> In article <24f624e1.0201090951.11798...@posting.google.com>,
>> Randy Goetz <rgo...@toyon.com> wrote:
>> >I have an application that is compiled under Borland Pascal 7.0.  I
>> >recently ran it under Windows 2000.  The app works fine, but when I
>> >close it, I get an error message that it caused a General Protection
>> >Fault.

>> >Is there something that could be causing this?

>> Buggy program.

>One thing I really love about these people who just wanna get their name in
>lights.. err.. or a newsgroup...Is come up with a reply that has really
>little use.

>Randy> Load up BP7, load your program, set breakpoints at where your
>application starts the shutdown process.Trace through it, and make sure that
>all objects and references are properly cleared, and so on.  If BP crashes
>start a trace from start to finish, and see whats being declared and whats
>not being freed properly.

I assumed he was smart enough to figure out that's what he'd have to do.
In your case do we have to enumerate each step?

Let's see ... turn on the computer ...

Quote
>> > Any suggestions on how to work around this (maybe a PIF file, or some
>> > equivalent)?

>> Fix the bug.

>> --
>> john R. Latala
>> jrlat...@golden.net

--
john R. Latala
jrlat...@golden.net

Re:Windows 2000 / BP 7.0


Quote
<jrlat...@shell.golden.net> wrote in message

news:a1n3dv$fvo$1@shell.golden.net...

Quote
> In article <ViD%7.15111$p04.3911...@news20.bellglobal.com>,
> Stephen <idontk...@somewhere.asdf> wrote:

> ><jrlat...@shell.golden.net> wrote in message
> >news:a1m216$c57$1@shell.golden.net...
> >> In article <24f624e1.0201090951.11798...@posting.google.com>,
> >> Randy Goetz <rgo...@toyon.com> wrote:
> >> >I have an application that is compiled under Borland Pascal 7.0.  I
> >> >recently ran it under Windows 2000.  The app works fine, but when I
> >> >close it, I get an error message that it caused a General Protection
> >> >Fault.

> >> >Is there something that could be causing this?

> >> Buggy program.

> >One thing I really love about these people who just wanna get their name
in
> >lights.. err.. or a newsgroup...Is come up with a reply that has really
> >little use.

> >Randy> Load up BP7, load your program, set breakpoints at where your
> >application starts the shutdown process.Trace through it, and make sure
that
> >all objects and references are properly cleared, and so on.  If BP
crashes
> >start a trace from start to finish, and see whats being declared and
whats
> >not being freed properly.

> I assumed he was smart enough to figure out that's what he'd have to do.
> In your case do we have to enumerate each step?

Not to discredit his intelligence, but, he did write in here for something
that basic.  Maybe the thought to debug top to bottom didn't occur to him?

- Show quoted text -

Quote
> Let's see ... turn on the computer ...

> >> > Any suggestions on how to work around this (maybe a PIF file, or some
> >> > equivalent)?

> >> Fix the bug.

> >> --
> >> john R. Latala
> >> jrlat...@golden.net

> --
> john R. Latala
> jrlat...@golden.net

Re:Windows 2000 / BP 7.0


And ya know, thinking about my atypical problems, perhaps its a case of a
bad EXE.. Or, a memory problem.  Maybe the PIF/LNK did get screwed up and
doesn't have a lot of memory to play with.  Maybe the EXE is doing something
that worked in real time and was handled properly, but, Windows itself pukes
because of it?  What if its just something as simple as a recompile under
Win2K for it to work?  What if theres something seriously wrong with the
code and it was just a CHANCE that it worked in real time versus emulated
DOS?  The problem can be of many faces.  Saying the program is broke is VERY
obvious considering that he wrote the originating message STATING such a
thing!

Quote
<jrlat...@shell.golden.net> wrote in message

news:a1n3dv$fvo$1@shell.golden.net...
Quote
> In article <ViD%7.15111$p04.3911...@news20.bellglobal.com>,
> Stephen <idontk...@somewhere.asdf> wrote:

> ><jrlat...@shell.golden.net> wrote in message
> >news:a1m216$c57$1@shell.golden.net...
> >> In article <24f624e1.0201090951.11798...@posting.google.com>,
> >> Randy Goetz <rgo...@toyon.com> wrote:
> >> >I have an application that is compiled under Borland Pascal 7.0.  I
> >> >recently ran it under Windows 2000.  The app works fine, but when I
> >> >close it, I get an error message that it caused a General Protection
> >> >Fault.

> >> >Is there something that could be causing this?

> >> Buggy program.

> >One thing I really love about these people who just wanna get their name
in
> >lights.. err.. or a newsgroup...Is come up with a reply that has really
> >little use.

> >Randy> Load up BP7, load your program, set breakpoints at where your
> >application starts the shutdown process.Trace through it, and make sure
that
> >all objects and references are properly cleared, and so on.  If BP
crashes
> >start a trace from start to finish, and see whats being declared and
whats
> >not being freed properly.

> I assumed he was smart enough to figure out that's what he'd have to do.
> In your case do we have to enumerate each step?

> Let's see ... turn on the computer ...

> >> > Any suggestions on how to work around this (maybe a PIF file, or some
> >> > equivalent)?

> >> Fix the bug.

> >> --
> >> john R. Latala
> >> jrlat...@golden.net

> --
> john R. Latala
> jrlat...@golden.net

Re:Windows 2000 / BP 7.0


In article <bvE%7.15271$p04.3956...@news20.bellglobal.com>,

Quote
Stephen <idontk...@somewhere.asdf> wrote:
>And ya know, thinking about my atypical problems, perhaps its a case of a
>bad EXE.. Or, a memory problem.  Maybe the PIF/LNK did get screwed up and
>doesn't have a lot of memory to play with.  Maybe the EXE is doing something
>that worked in real time and was handled properly, but, Windows itself pukes
>because of it?  What if its just something as simple as a recompile under
>Win2K for it to work?  What if theres something seriously wrong with the
>code and it was just a CHANCE that it worked in real time versus emulated
>DOS?  The problem can be of many faces.  Saying the program is broke is VERY
>obvious considering that he wrote the originating message STATING such a
>thing!

I read it differently. To me it sounded more like: "Well since it worked
in Win'95 it has to be a bug free program so it should also work in
Win2000."

Just because both operating systems are called WINXXXX, where XXXX is
something, doesn't mean it's upward compatible. My understanding is that
internally there's a whole lot of difference between Win95 and Win2000.
I was under the impression that Win95 was a Win3.1 derivative while
Win2000 was an NT derivative. NT has always been more strict with virtual
memory than win3.1/Win9x has so his program was doing something bad under
win9X but it didn't complain. When the same program tried it under Win2000
it got spanked.
--
john R. Latala
jrlat...@golden.net

Re:Windows 2000 / BP 7.0


Randy Goetz <rgo...@toyon.com> wrote in
<24f624e1.0201090951.11798...@posting.google.com>

Quote
> I have an application that is compiled under Borland Pascal 7.0.  I
> recently ran it under Windows 2000.  The app works fine, but when I
> close it, I get an error message that it caused a General Protection
> Fault.

> Is there something that could be causing this?  Any suggestions on how
> to work around this (maybe a PIF file, or some equivalent)?

  Did you look at help? There is:

<========= from help =========>
 +---------------------------+
 | General Protection fault  |
 +---------------------------+

This error results if you try to access memory that is not legal for your
application to access. The operating system halts your application and
tells
you that a general protection (GP) fault occurred, but your system does not
crash.

The following practices cause GP faults:

 _ Loading constant values into segment registers

 _ Performing arithmetic operations on segment registers of selectors

 _ Using segment registers for temporary storage

 _ Writing to code segments

 _ Accessing memory beyond the local address space given to your
application

 _ Derefencing nil pointers
<========= from help =========>

  Also You didn't say at what mode you compliled your program :)

--
   Varyonov Konstantin       varkos^mail.ru      http://ghsrl.newmail.ru

Re:Windows 2000 / BP 7.0


I have found a similar problem with an old version of a cad/cam system for
Windows For Workgroups that was being used under Win9x. This software
couldn't utilize the Minimize/Restore/Close buttons in the upper left corner
to exit. Every time I closed out this way, I got a general protection fault.
I am not sure of a fix, but the cad/cam software did have it's own dos-style
menu that had an exit command.

FYI,
Tim

Quote
"Randy Goetz" <rgo...@toyon.com> wrote in message

news:24f624e1.0201090951.117987e2@posting.google.com...
Quote
> I have an application that is compiled under Borland Pascal 7.0.  I
> recently ran it under Windows 2000.  The app works fine, but when I
> close it, I get an error message that it caused a General Protection
> Fault.

> Is there something that could be causing this?  Any suggestions on how
> to work around this (maybe a PIF file, or some equivalent)?

> Thanks

Other Threads