BDE 4.x 5.x + D3 + MS SQL 6.5 interaction problem

More BDE problems...

Other people have posted similar problems already,
has anyone found a solution yet?

Problem
1 - DBLookupComboBox hangs app (pins cpu 100%)
    using any BDE version greater than 4.00 causes problem
    switch back to BDE 4.0 problem goes away
    use BDE 5.00 with sqlmss32.dll from BDE 4.00 problem goes away
    (but not a real solution, obviously)

    only seems to occur when using the DBLookupComboBox

2 - "multiple records" error posting new record from grid
    using any BDE version greater than 4.00 causes problem
    switching back to BDE 4.00 problem goes away

Configuration
    BDE 4.00 with sqlmss32.dll (ver 4.00.36)
    BDE 4.5 or 5.0 with sqlmss32.dll (ver 5.00.38)
    Delphi 3.01 C/S
    MS SQL Server 6.5 SP2

I would like to deploy BDE 5.00 as the standard version
prior to switching over to D4 (and upgrading all our app's).
This should not be a problem since BDE is supposed to
be backwards compatible; obviously something is wrong,
question is what. I have looked through Inprises doc's etc
and have not found anything of relevance.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Lance K. Kujala
lkuj...@prgrain.bc.ca