quick way to integrate crystal reports 5 to delphi

dear fellow delphi users,
  kindly give me some hints on how to properly install Crystal Reports
Professional edition version 5 to my delphi 4 clients/server edition. i'd
like to use it on my SQL7 database.

thanks a lot and more power!

if possible, please email the instructions to me at g...@acavideo.ph or
g...@hq.amanet.net

Re:quick way to integrate crystal reports 5 to delphi

"GMM" <g...@acavideo.ph> wrote...
> dear fellow delphi users,
>   kindly give me some hints on how to properly install Crystal Reports
> Professional edition version 5 to my delphi 4 clients/server edition. i'd
> like to use it on my SQL7 database.

Answered in private e-mail (before I checked the newsgroups).  For anybody else:

The bad news is - I've only dealt with 6 & higher.  However, the VCL component
help (UCrpe32.hlp) suggests it works with at least some version of 5x:

"The 32-bit Delphi VCL component for Seagate Crystal Reports 7, 6 and
5.x.x.108."

First, make sure you have the 7.51 Crystal VCL, you can get it free from:

http://support.seagatesoftware.com/communityCS/FilesAndUpdates/7vcl45...

Second, install the supplied package (again from the help file):

"Installing the included Package

1. Go to the Component menu, choose Install Packages.

2. Choose Add.

3. Locate the CRYSTAL.DPL (or CRYSTAL.BPL) file and load it.

4. Choose OK.

The Crystal VCL should appear under the Data Access tab of the VCL Component
palette."

Third, add the path:

"Important Note

It is also necessary to add the Crystal VCL install path to Delphi's Library
Path string (Tools | Environment Options | Library) in order for the Component
files to be found by Delphi. "

Fourth, add the help file to Delphi's index.  You don't mention what version of
Windows you are using, so be aware that only a certain number of index entries
are supported under Windows 9x.  If adding Crystal destroys the index, remove
something else.

"Installing the Help file

Method 1 - Delphi 4/5

With Delphi 4 and 5, the preferred way to install context-sensitive Help is by
using the built-in OpenHelp installer:

1. Copy the UCRPE32.HLP and UCRPE32.CNT to the Delphi Help directory.

2. Run Delphi and go to the Help menu.  Choose Customize (the OpenHelp installer
can also be run outside the Delphi environment by going to the Delphi Bin
directory and running OpenHelp.exe).

3. With the Contents tab selected, right-click (or go to the Edit menu) and
choose Add Files.  Locate the UCRPE32.CNT file and add it to the list.
4. With the Index tab selected, right-click (or go to the Edit menu) and choose
Add Files.  Locate the UCRPE32.HLP file and add it to the list.

5. Choose File | Save Project."

OK, now that all that's done, pick an EXISTING report you already have designed.
Drop a Crpe component on a form, set the report name to the report, the output
to ToWindow, and you should be able to preview it with the design time controls.
You may have to set some database login properties, etc.  Some sample code from
my BOF session is available at:

http://www.borland.com/conf2000/updates/9036/9036.zip

Hope it helps,
-Brion