Opinions on best Help authoring tool

I am embarking on my first "major" Delphi project, complete with
extensive online help.  I would like opinions/suggestions on which
help authoring tool to use.  I know the names of a few, such as
ForeHelp, Visual Help, RoboHelp, and Help Magician.  But I don't know
anything about them.

Any comments on these or other packages would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Warren Sande
EcoTech Research
Regina, SK
ecot...@unibase.unibase.com
Voice: (306) 352-2468

Re:Opinions on best Help authoring tool

I have been using Forehelp. It is pretty good to work with, it is
robust, has an exelent test feature, but there are a few things I
miss:

- Multiuser access:

Writing help on large projects is often done in a hurry when the
project is about to ship. It would have been great to have many people
working on the same help projects with lockin on topic level. That
would have been the most elegant solution. For the moment Forehelp has
good capabilities for merging rtf-files into the project, making intefile jumps

Better facilities for creating a manual:

Forehelp lets you order the topics manually, or ordering them by
pushing topics up/down in a list. But this is rather cumbersom, espec
when importing rtf's for newly programmed modules.

The capabilities for creating an index out of keywords, is AFAIK not there.

Other things:

- There is no mechanism for automatically creating banners in old
help-projects.

- The keywording of topics should have been part of the
topics-property dialogbox in addition to a seperate list - which functions OK.

How do the other help authoring tools compare on these points.

Anders E

ecot...@unibase.unibase.com (Warren Sande) wrote:
>I am embarking on my first "major" Delphi project, complete with
>extensive online help.  I would like opinions/suggestions on which
>help authoring tool to use.  I know the names of a few, such as
>ForeHelp, Visual Help, RoboHelp, and Help Magician.  But I don't know
>anything about them.
>Any comments on these or other packages would be greatly appreciated.
>Thanks in advance,
>Warren Sande
>EcoTech Research
>Regina, SK
>ecot...@unibase.unibase.com
>Voice: (306) 352-2468

Do yourself a favor and try HelpWriter. The author has a home page,
search for helpwriter. He offers a FREE version (fully fuctional, but
can only have something like 20 topics. Its EASY to use. He offers
excellent support, and the full blown PRO version is only $99.

I have no affilliation with him, but I bought it and have been very
happy with it.

Try it.

Re:Opinions on best Help authoring tool

In article <4acdj3$...@sinsen.oslonett.no>,
   ander...@oslonett.no (Anders Ekeland) wrote:

>I have been using Forehelp. It is pretty good to work with, it is
>robust, has an exelent test feature, but there are a few things I
>miss:

Can Forehelp be picked up on the net, or must it be purchased?  (Please send a
copy of any replies to me by email, if possible).

----
Dean Tessman
Faculty of Business
University of Alberta
dtess...@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca

I love animals.  They're delicious.

Check out the SlipBar at www.ualberta.ca/~dtessman/programmer.html

Re:Opinions on best Help authoring tool

In article: <4af885$1bk_...@fluffy.ualberta.ca>  dtess...@gpu.srv.ualberta.ca (Dean Tessman)
writes:

>I have been using Forehelp. It is pretty good to work with, it is
>robust, has an exelent test feature, but there are a few things I
>miss:

I tried Forehelp as well -- a hobbled demo version came on a magazine
cover disk. It's good, but the full-blown version is too expensive --
around UKP 300 as I recall. I think a good help authoring tool should
cost, at most, UKP 100.

Mike Wilson                                     m...@plexus.demon.co.uk
Plexus Systems Ltd.                             Reading, Berkshire, UK

Other Threads