Checkboxes greyed and checked after inserting new record

After plunking down my $200 to develop with ADO+Access2000, I now find
my checkboxes are greyed and checked after inserting a new record in
the table.  I could be mistaken, but I don't remember the BDE+Access97
doing this.
The general function I need is, like in Access2000, to assume false
until selected to be true.   What's going on that I'm unaware of??
I've set the Default Value in the Access Table, modified the
ValueChecked and  ValueUnchecked properties, and still get the greyed
checks.
I would really prefer not to have a procedure named
UncheckF***ingBoxes in my program.  :)

Thanks,
Eric