Writing installation wizards

I am to the point of deploying a C/S app written with Delphi, IBX and
IB 6.
The idea is to have:
1. a custom installation for the client app, created with
InstallShield;
2. a custom installation for the server app (it will perform several
services and calculations on the server side), again with
InstallShield;
3. a server installation for IB 6, as much as 'silent' as possible -
in this case IB 6 is used as an embedded DBMS by my app, and the user
should be basically unaware of what is going on behind the scene of
the app. I would like the setup procedure to have a minimal
interaction with the users - just them picking up the destination
directory under the <program files> directory.

Here comes my main question: how to perform the most easy, silent, but
still correct installation for the IB 6 server?

I don't want to put the user in front to the full IB 6 setup
procedure, with its too many choices.
I also decided to give up with InstallShield, which seems unsuited for
the job.
And then I turned my attention to chapters 7 and 21 of the IB 6
Developer's Guide. Unfortunately, many points still remain unclear to
me.
In particular, I am trying to write an installation wizard for
deploying the Interbase Server (for a Windows NT server) according to
chapter 21.
But which files should be included on the directory pointed by the
'SourceDirectory' of the TIBInstall component? All the files (and the
whole directory structure) derived when exploding the WI-B6.0.zip IB
install setup?
And furthermore, when issuing the InstallExecute command, the basic
installation tasks required by Microsoft sort-of-rules (such as
registering in the ...\CurrentVersion\... portion of the registry,
etc.) will be automatically performed?

Is there any real-world example, apart from the short snippet in the
guide, anyone can provide to me?

I apologize, for the length of the message (hard to be concise in a
foreign language). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Carlo Vercellis

Re:Writing installation wizards

IB 6 includes an Install API.  You can run it using the Interbase components
in Delphi 5 or call the API directly.

Dan

Gigi Fusi <k...@kk.it> wrote in message

> I am to the point of deploying a C/S app written with Delphi, IBX and
> IB 6.
> The idea is to have:
> 1. a custom installation for the client app, created with
> InstallShield;
> 2. a custom installation for the server app (it will perform several
> services and calculations on the server side), again with
> InstallShield;
> 3. a server installation for IB 6, as much as 'silent' as possible -
> in this case IB 6 is used as an embedded DBMS by my app, and the user
> should be basically unaware of what is going on behind the scene of
> the app. I would like the setup procedure to have a minimal
> interaction with the users - just them picking up the destination
> directory under the <program files> directory.

> Here comes my main question: how to perform the most easy, silent, but
> still correct installation for the IB 6 server?

> I don't want to put the user in front to the full IB 6 setup
> procedure, with its too many choices.
> I also decided to give up with InstallShield, which seems unsuited for
> the job.
> And then I turned my attention to chapters 7 and 21 of the IB 6
> Developer's Guide. Unfortunately, many points still remain unclear to
> me.
> In particular, I am trying to write an installation wizard for
> deploying the Interbase Server (for a Windows NT server) according to
> chapter 21.
> But which files should be included on the directory pointed by the
> 'SourceDirectory' of the TIBInstall component? All the files (and the
> whole directory structure) derived when exploding the WI-B6.0.zip IB
> install setup?
> And furthermore, when issuing the InstallExecute command, the basic
> installation tasks required by Microsoft sort-of-rules (such as
> registering in the ...\CurrentVersion\... portion of the registry,
> etc.) will be automatically performed?

> Is there any real-world example, apart from the short snippet in the
> guide, anyone can provide to me?

> I apologize, for the length of the message (hard to be concise in a
> foreign language). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Carlo Vercellis

Re:Writing installation wizards

Dan,
thanks for answering: I assume you are referring to what I mentioned
as chapter 7 in my original message.
But still my main questions remain open:

1. which files IB 6 files should be included on the CD distributed
to the user?
2. is there a real-world example of a custom setup procedure, either
using the IBX admin components (chap. 21) or directly accessing the
API (chap. 7)? by the way, the example supposed to be in the
subdirectory ..\examples\install of IB 6 and referred to at page 101
of the developer's guide is actually missing from my current
installation.

Again, help is appreciated.

carlo vercellis

On Tue, 27 Jun 2000 14:11:06 -0700, "Dan Palley" <d...@trams.com>
wrote:

>IB 6 includes an Install API.  You can run it using the Interbase components
>in Delphi 5 or call the API directly.

>Dan

>Gigi Fusi <k...@kk.it> wrote in message
>> I am to the point of deploying a C/S app written with Delphi, IBX and
>> IB 6.
>> The idea is to have:
>> 1. a custom installation for the client app, created with
>> InstallShield;
>> 2. a custom installation for the server app (it will perform several
>> services and calculations on the server side), again with
>> InstallShield;
>> 3. a server installation for IB 6, as much as 'silent' as possible -
>> in this case IB 6 is used as an embedded DBMS by my app, and the user
>> should be basically unaware of what is going on behind the scene of
>> the app. I would like the setup procedure to have a minimal
>> interaction with the users - just them picking up the destination
>> directory under the <program files> directory.

>> Here comes my main question: how to perform the most easy, silent, but
>> still correct installation for the IB 6 server?

>> I don't want to put the user in front to the full IB 6 setup
>> procedure, with its too many choices.
>> I also decided to give up with InstallShield, which seems unsuited for
>> the job.
>> And then I turned my attention to chapters 7 and 21 of the IB 6
>> Developer's Guide. Unfortunately, many points still remain unclear to
>> me.
>> In particular, I am trying to write an installation wizard for
>> deploying the Interbase Server (for a Windows NT server) according to
>> chapter 21.
>> But which files should be included on the directory pointed by the
>> 'SourceDirectory' of the TIBInstall component? All the files (and the
>> whole directory structure) derived when exploding the WI-B6.0.zip IB
>> install setup?
>> And furthermore, when issuing the InstallExecute command, the basic
>> installation tasks required by Microsoft sort-of-rules (such as
>> registering in the ...\CurrentVersion\... portion of the registry,
>> etc.) will be automatically performed?

>> Is there any real-world example, apart from the short snippet in the
>> guide, anyone can provide to me?

>> I apologize, for the length of the message (hard to be concise in a
>> foreign language). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

>> Carlo Vercellis

Re:Writing installation wizards

1. I think you have to include all files on the CD (I haven't tried this so
I'm not sure).
2. Not aware of any real-world examples.  Try asking in the Kinobi
newsgroup.

You can still write your own install script, but the embedded installation
guide hasn't been updated for 6 yet (hopefully it will be), and some things
have changed.

> [...]

> >> deploying the Interbase Server (for a Windows NT server) according to
> >> chapter 21.
> >> But which files should be included on the directory pointed by the
> >> 'SourceDirectory' of the TIBInstall component? All the files (and the
> >> whole directory structure) derived when exploding the WI-B6.0.zip IB
> >> install setup?
> >> And furthermore, when issuing the InstallExecute command, the basic
> >> installation tasks required by Microsoft sort-of-rules (such as
> >> registering in the ...\CurrentVersion\... portion of the registry,
> >> etc.) will be automatically performed?

> >> Is there any real-world example, apart from the short snippet in the
> >> guide, anyone can provide to me?

> >> I apologize, for the length of the message (hard to be concise in a
> >> foreign language). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Other Threads