TP 5.5 or 7?

I'm taking a pascal class at my local college. The book "Turbo Pascal 5th
Edition" by Elliot B. Koffman, saids you need TP 7 . Well TP 5.5 work?? I
don't want to fork out the cash for a pascal compiler since im moving on to
'C' next semester and probaly won't be working with pascal much (It is a
required class for Into to 'C').

Re:TP 5.5 or 7?

"Lord Biron" <lordbi...@mindspring.com> wrote in message

> I'm taking a pascal class at my local college. The book "Turbo Pascal 5th
> Edition" by Elliot B. Koffman, saids you need TP 7 . Well TP 5.5 work?? I
> don't want to fork out the cash for a pascal compiler since im moving on
> 'C' next semester and probaly won't be working with pascal much (It is a
> required class for Into to 'C').

You can download a French version of TP 7.01 at
http://www.borland.fr/downloads/compilateurs . The help files are in French,
but the IDE is in English.

Daniel Pfeffer

Re:TP 5.5 or 7?

In article <newscache$na40vf$8k...@lnews.actcom.co.il>,
  "Daniel M. Pfeffer" <pfeff...@nospam.internet-zahav.net> wrote:

> "Lord Biron" <lordbi...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
> > I'm taking a pascal class at my local college. The book "Turbo
Pascal 5th
> > Edition" by Elliot B. Koffman, saids you need TP 7 . Well TP 5.5
work?? I
> > don't want to fork out the cash for a pascal compiler since im
moving on
> > 'C' next semester and probaly won't be working with pascal much (It
is a
> > required class for Into to 'C').

> You can download a French version of TP 7.01 at
> http://www.borland.fr/downloads/compilateurs . The help files are in
French,
> but the IDE is in English.

Two things wrong with that.  First is the URL, the correct one is
http://www.borland.fr/download/compilateurs/ .  The second is I only see
TP 5.5 available for download there.  Do people have to be a member to
do downloads?

--
Get paid to surf:
www.alladvantage.com/go.asp?refid=HAM962

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Re:TP 5.5 or 7?

In article <01bfc464$1634dc80$a6d9aec7@astp90>,
  "Lord Biron" <lordbi...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> I'm taking a pascal class at my local college. The book "Turbo Pascal
5th
> Edition" by Elliot B. Koffman, saids you need TP 7 . Well TP 5.5
work?? I
> don't want to fork out the cash for a pascal compiler since im moving
on to
> 'C' next semester and probaly won't be working with pascal much (It
is a
> required class for Into to 'C').

The best answer? Ask your instructor. Also, many colleges offer such
software at a discounted price to students thru the campus bookstores.

Lord Biron wrote in message <01bfc464$1634dc80$a6d9aec7@astp90>...
>I'm taking a pascal class at my local college. The book "Turbo Pascal 5th
>Edition" by Elliot B. Koffman, saids you need TP 7 . Well TP 5.5 work?? I
>don't want to fork out the cash for a pascal compiler since im moving on to
>'C' next semester and probaly won't be working with pascal much (It is a
>required class for Into to 'C').

The main difference between the 2 compilers is that TP 7 supports
object-oreintation.
And according to my knowledge they do not teach OOP in school (or college)
So for almost all the stuff TP 5.5 should be fine!

Some things like extended syntax and the IDE is diffferent. But that can't
be to big a problem. So If don't want to get a new compiler it will be ok.
Chaou
Heinrich

Check my web-site:
http://homes.arealcity.com/Heinrichshomepage/
Includes a complete TP tutoriul and more!

Re:TP 5.5 or 7?

Heinrich wrote:

[TP5.5 / TP7]

> The main difference between the 2 compilers is that TP 7 supports
> object-oreintation.

So does TP 5.5. It was the first version to do so.

 - Sebastian

--
Add "NOSPAM" to my email to send me junk!

Re:TP 5.5 or 7?

In article <3mdhg8.q11...@bastisoft.de>,

Sebastian Koppehel <un0...@bastisoft.de> wrote:
>Hi,

>Heinrich wrote:

>[TP5.5 / TP7]

>> The main difference between the 2 compilers is that TP 7 supports
>> object-oreintation.

>So does TP 5.5. It was the first version to do so.

The major differences are: Turbo vision, the heap manager, inline
assembler and the IDE.

Osmo

Re:TP 5.5 or 7?

> >[TP5.5 / TP7]

> >> The main difference between the 2 compilers is that TP 7 supports
> >> object-oreintation.

> >So does TP 5.5. It was the first version to do so.

> The major differences are: Turbo vision, the heap manager, inline
> assembler and the IDE.

Protected mode? (though that is more a BP feature)

--

Marco van de Voort (Mar...@stack.nl or ma...@freepascal.org)

Re:TP 5.5 or 7?

Lord Biron <lordbi...@mindspring.com> wrote:
> I'm taking a pascal class at my local college. The book "Turbo Pascal 5th
> Edition" by Elliot B. Koffman, saids you need TP 7 . Well TP 5.5 work?? I
> don't want to fork out the cash for a pascal compiler since im moving on to
> 'C' next semester and probaly won't be working with pascal much (It is a
> required class for Into to 'C').

Chances are pretty good that 5.5 will work just fine.

Other Threads