D2/TQuery: RequestLive not working with Paradox???

Hi!

Has anybody had ANY success producing living data with Delphi2/TQuery over
a Paradox database?
I have tried everything I can think of (different SQL
strings with/without ORDER BY clause, fiddling around with .RequestLive,
changing all other properties -NOTHING!
I was, however, instantly able to produce live data by connecting to an
Interbase database instead.

Any ideas?

Andy

Re:D2/TQuery: RequestLive not working with Paradox???

atroe...@nelly.mat.univie.ac.at (Andreas Troester) wrote:
>Hi!

>Has anybody had ANY success producing living data with Delphi2/TQuery over
>a Paradox database?
>I have tried everything I can think of (different SQL
>strings with/without ORDER BY clause, fiddling around with .RequestLive,
>changing all other properties -NOTHING!
>I was, however, instantly able to produce live data by connecting to an
>Interbase database instead.

>Any ideas?

>Andy

Yes....

Here's what I did...
1) Drop a Query, DataSource, and DBGrid on a new form.
2) Set the Query DataBaseName to the DBDemos Alias
3) In the SQL section I put:
   SELECT *
     FROM "ANIMALS.DBF" ANIMALS
     ORDER BY NAME
4) I Set Request Live to True
5) I Opened the Query
6) Set the DataSource to point to the Query
7) set the DBGrid to point to the DataSource
8) Ran the Program

What version of Delphi 2.0 do you have.... I am using the
Client/Server Version although I can test the Developer version when I
get home.

Andreas Troester wrote:

> Hi!

> Has anybody had ANY success producing living data with Delphi2/TQuery over
> a Paradox database?
> I have tried everything I can think of (different SQL
> strings with/without ORDER BY clause, fiddling around with .RequestLive,
> changing all other properties -NOTHING!
> I was, however, instantly able to produce live data by connecting to an
> Interbase database instead.

> Any ideas?

> Andy

I have no experience with D2, but with D1 and the BDE 2.5 any
SQL-statement that contains an 'order by' will set the TQuery to readonly
(or RequestLive to false) if it works on Paradox-tables.

HTH

Thomas

name : Thomas Scheffczyk
org. : EDV-Abteilung der Verwaltung
       Johannes Gutenberg-Universitaet Mainz
email: scheffc...@verwaltung.uni-mainz.de
tel. : ++6131-39-6338
fax  : ++6131-39-2856

Scheffczyk, Thomas (scheffc...@verwaltung.uni-mainz.de) wrote:

: I have no experience with D2, but with D1 and the BDE 2.5 any
: SQL-statement that contains an 'order by' will set the TQuery to readonly
: (or RequestLive to false) if it works on Paradox-tables.

Thanks for responding! What's strange is that the last-minute readme file
that came with D2 states that the ORDER BY restriction for live datasets has
been completely removed. On LIBS datasets you can actually get live and
ordered datasets, but with Paradox, I was still unable to get any live data,
no matter if the SQL statement contained an ORDER BY clause or not.
Regards,

Andy

Other Threads