D3 Std ---> D5 Prof

As of five minutes ago I finished upgrading a program from Delphi 3 to
Delphi 5. It is a major program with more than 30 forms and about 100
tables. It took about 15 minutes and most of that was installing some
updated versions of some third party components that I use. I have not
finished testing but past experience of moving form 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 to 5
indicates that I should not have too much trouble.

Basically most programs should upgrade seamlessly unless you are using non
standard components. These will usually need to be upgraded so ensure you
have the source code.

Mike Best

--
Mike Best Programming
Brisbane

J Preou wrote in message ...
>Hi there,

>I'm very much a beginner.  I've been developing a program using Delphi
>3 which I shall be distributing.  To stay legal I will be upgrading to
>Delphi 5 Professional.  Is there a good chance that my code will work
>with no trouble in D5 or are there any issues I should be aware of ?

> Jeff
>       jpr...@ihug.co.nz
>       ICQ     #33053467
>       http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~jpreou/index.htm
>       Hamilton, New Zealand

Re:D3 Std ---> D5 Prof

You should be fine.

D5 has documentation for language changes that can cause problems. AFAIK the
main cause of problems is a change to the memory layout of records. To avoid
this use the "packed" keyword.

--
Greg Lorriman
Handy, free utils at http://www.lorriman.demon.co.uk

For tiny setups see http://inner-smile.com/dl_inf.htm
and if you go for it then mention me.

"J Preou" <jpr...@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message

> Hi there,

> I'm very much a beginner.  I've been developing a program using Delphi
> 3 which I shall be distributing.  To stay legal I will be upgrading to
> Delphi 5 Professional.  Is there a good chance that my code will work
> with no trouble in D5 or are there any issues I should be aware of ?

>  Jeff
>        jpr...@ihug.co.nz
>        ICQ     #33053467
>        http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~jpreou/index.htm
>        Hamilton, New Zealand

Re:D3 Std ---> D5 Prof

Hi J.,

a lot depends on what kind of programming you're doing. I use binary
files and my aligned record structures have different sizes form D3 to
D5. In addition the Real type has changed from the Pascal 6 byte real to
a Double. There are other changes in the VCL but whether they apply to
your project is hard to say. Make sure to read the "What's New in
Delphi" help section to see what changes may affect you.

Mitch Wolberg,
RockWare, Inc.

J Preou wrote:

> Hi there,

> I'm very much a beginner.  I've been developing a program using Delphi
> 3 which I shall be distributing.  To stay legal I will be upgrading to
> Delphi 5 Professional.  Is there a good chance that my code will work
> with no trouble in D5 or are there any issues I should be aware of ?

>  Jeff
>        jpr...@ihug.co.nz
>        ICQ     #33053467
>        http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~jpreou/index.htm