DOS running in REAL TIME under Windows95

Help Wanted!

I have a 16-Bit DOS application that I need to run from a Delphi 32
application under Windows95 in Real Time. The DOS application is a
communications program which needs to hog the processor until it is
finished.

I have tried using the WIN95 API call CreateProcess to run this 16-Bit
DOS app, setting the dwCreateFlags parameter (priority flag) to
REALTIME_PRIORITY_CLASS. This unfortunately made know difference to the
priority of the DOS application, as I was still able to execute and use
other application while it was running (not the solution I was hoping
for).

I then changed the code to run a 32-Bit application instead of the
16-Bit DOS app, with the same priority just to make sure I hadn't done
anything wrong. This worked as expected by hogging the processor until
it had completed the job.

My question,
        Is there any way a 16-Bit DOS application can run under
Windows95 with a Real Time      priority?

Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Regards Jeff
j...@banklink.co.nz

Re:DOS running in REAL TIME under Windows95

Jeffrey Sadler wrote:

> I have a 16-Bit DOS application that I need to run from a Delphi 32
> application under Windows95 in Real Time. The DOS application is a
> communications program which needs to hog the processor until it is
> finished.
> My question,
>         Is there any way a 16-Bit DOS application can run under
> Windows95 with a Real Time      priority?

Running the DOS app full screen boosts its priority. Also creating
a pif file (See the properties, misc tab) allows you to set idle
sensitivity low, as well as preventing the user from switching to
another app.
Another solution is a faster machine... :*)

M.

--
Martin Larsson, author of several unknown utilities for DOS and Windows.
mailto:martin.lars...@delfi-data.msmail.telemax.no

Other Threads