FTP disconnects not disconnecting?

Hi...
  I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, but here goes...

  We have been using the Internet Mail Suite components to do FTP from
client machines to our NT servers.  With the advent of Win2k, the dial-up
(RAS) component failed to auto-dial out.  We talked to the IMS guy and he
said he's stopped supporting that software.  Keeping his ftp component, we
swapped out the RAS component for the AsynchPro version, and it solved the
problem.

  Now for the current problem:  we have received calls from some of our
customers that their software is receiving errors and{*word*154}, causing the
to reboot their win98/98 (networked) machines.  Looking at the logs, I see
the error "[10038] Socket operation on a non-socket".  Checking those
against the server logs, it appears that previous connections (made only a
minute or so earlier...we connect quite often!) were not disconnected by the
server.  It looks like our system event logs a chock full of MSFTPSVC errors
about users getting logged out after 900 seconds of inactivity.  I can see
some users with as many as three simultaneous sessions, when I know they
only have one.

  It looks like something in our servers is not actually disconnecting the
ftp sessions when the client tells them to.  This was not causing any
problems on the client when we had the old RAS component, but with the new
one, it does seem to cause a problem, and we have no idea exactly what
problem to address.  We can't go back to the old RAS component because it
won't work in win2k, and we don't know exactly what caused the servers to
begin keeping these connections after the clients disconnect because the
event logs have long since purged the data from that far back (we can only
see as far back as April, and the events were already happening then,...they
just weren't bothering the clients' apps).

  Anyone know how we might begin to address these issues?  Thanks for any
advice...we're pulling our hair out here...and we don't have much left! :-)
Thanks...

-Howard

Re:FTP disconnects not disconnecting?

"Howard Moon" <hm...@landstar.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Hi...
>   I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this, but here goes...

>   We have been using the Internet Mail Suite components to do FTP from
> client machines to our NT servers.  With the advent of Win2k, the dial-up
> (RAS) component failed to auto-dial out.  We talked to the IMS guy and he
> said he's stopped supporting that software.  Keeping his ftp component, we
> swapped out the RAS component for the AsynchPro version, and it solved the
> problem.

a) i do not know IMS, but there are several ras comps, all working
with w2000:
You will find free at:
http://www.rtfm.be/fpiette/indexuk.htm
http://www.magsys.co.uk/delphi/index.htm
http://www.argosoft.com/
or have a look to http://www.torry.net/

>   Now for the current problem:  we have received calls from some of our
> customers that their software is receiving errors and{*word*154}, causing the
> to reboot their win98/98 (networked) machines.  Looking at the logs, I see
> the error "[10038] Socket operation on a non-socket".  Checking those
> against the server logs, it appears that previous connections (made only a
> minute or so earlier...we connect quite often!) were not disconnected by
the
> server.  It looks like our system event logs a chock full of MSFTPSVC
errors
> about users getting logged out after 900 seconds of inactivity.  I can see
> some users with as many as three simultaneous sessions, when I know they
> only have one.

>   It looks like something in our servers is not actually disconnecting the
> ftp sessions when the client tells them to.  This was not causing any
> problems on the client when we had the old RAS component, but with the new
> one, it does seem to cause a problem, and we have no idea exactly what
> problem to address.  We can't go back to the old RAS component because it
> won't work in win2k, and we don't know exactly what caused the servers to
> begin keeping these connections after the clients disconnect because the
> event logs have long since purged the data from that far back (we can only
> see as far back as April, and the events were already happening
then,...they
> just weren't bothering the clients' apps).

>   Anyone know how we might begin to address these issues?  Thanks for any
> advice...we're pulling our hair out here...and we don't have much left!
:-)
> Thanks...

> -Howard

....we connect quite often!) :
think about, ms will not releasy the socket by disconnecting. It stays in
memory,
if a late packet still arrives. If short connect, disconnect, ... you can
run out of resources.
servers:
its a known problem, sometimes the disconnect from one side is
sent to the other, sometimes not. To solve this, do a
"if connected then disconnect" on BOTH sides (client and server)
after a 'quit'.
Last advice:
Lot of sofware companys prefere to stop production and support
instead of  doing support. My advice: switch to Indy, you get
support here for ever.

Ernst

Re:FTP disconnects not disconnecting?

>   Now for the current problem:  we have received calls from some of our
> customers that their software is receiving errors and{*word*154}, causing the
> to reboot their win98/98 (networked) machines.  Looking at the logs, I see
> the error "[10038] Socket operation on a non-socket".  Checking those
> against the server logs, it appears that previous connections (made only a
> minute or so earlier...we connect quite often!) were not disconnected by
the
> server.  It looks like our system event logs a chock full of MSFTPSVC
errors
> about users getting logged out after 900 seconds of inactivity.  I can see
> some users with as many as three simultaneous sessions, when I know they
> only have one.

I have had similiar problems.  It sounds to me like the RAS component is
terminating the dialup connection before the Tcp connection has a chance to
shut down both ends.  Try and make sure the Tcp connection is closed before
letting the dialup drop if you haven't tried that yet.

Matthew

Re:FTP disconnects not disconnecting?

> Last advice:
> Lot of sofware companys prefere to stop production and support
> instead of  doing support. My advice: switch to Indy, you get
> support here for ever.

IMS ended support of there RAS component eons ago and ONLY there RAS
component.  They released it as freeware with source also.  No licensing
issues just plain free.  It was actually in the list of free ones you
provided.  They still support the IMS Suite and are always prompt and
helpful answering questions.

Matthew

Other Threads