Setting the Database Name

(D6, Interbase 6.0, IBX - no BDE)
In Paradox tables, the Database name is set to an Alias, which is easily
configurable via the BDE Admin.
From what I can tell in IBX/Interbase the Databasename is a relative file
path location, which is hardcoded. I.E if your data was stored on
<Server>:j:\data\somedb.gdb that would be the databasename.

This is all well and good, but what if the path is different for every
installation of the software. What is the Interbase way of defining and
creating a BDE / Paradox style Alias, that can be used anywhere ?

Re:Setting the Database Name

In article <3ba57ca5_2@dnews>, jfsug...@orcon.net.nz wrote...

> What is the Interbase way of defining and
> creating a BDE / Paradox style Alias, that can be used anywhere ?

Normally, people roll their own, for instance store the connection in an
INI file on a server that is read just before connection, or store it in
the registry that is filled in during the install process via a command
line param etc.

In the past I have written a simple TCP/IP server using the Indy
components that, when queried, returns the database connection string.

Phil

Re:Setting the Database Name

G'day,
Thats what I figured would be needed. Seems a little backward. Although its
a minor trade-off for not having the BDE I guess.

Cheers

"Phil Shrimpton" <p...@nospam.shrimpton.co.uk> wrote in message

> In article <3ba57ca5_2@dnews>, jfsug...@orcon.net.nz wrote...

> Hi,

> > What is the Interbase way of defining and
> > creating a BDE / Paradox style Alias, that can be used anywhere ?

> Normally, people roll their own, for instance store the connection in an
> INI file on a server that is read just before connection, or store it in
> the registry that is filled in during the install process via a command
> line param etc.

> In the past I have written a simple TCP/IP server using the Indy
> components that, when queried, returns the database connection string.

> Phil

Re:Setting the Database Name

I have seen some third party programs that run on an Interbase server to
provide a "look-up" for aliases. I don't know if it's worth all that but
they are out there if you want to try them. I'm sure I saw at least one
listed on the IB Phoenix web site.

Woody

"Jim Sugrue" <jfsug...@orcon.net.nz> wrote in message

> G'day,
> Thats what I figured would be needed. Seems a little backward. Although
its
> a minor trade-off for not having the BDE I guess.

> Cheers

Other Threads