Paradox records are not inserted into table permanently, abnormal shutting down makes data lost

Hi,

We're now developing a online data accessing program using local Paradox
tables.

We follow the procedure like:

Database_SkyNet.StartTransaction;
Try
    Query_InsertPanelEvent.SQL.Add( 'Insert IntoPanelEventTable ' );
    ... ...
    Query_InsertPanelEvent.ExecSQL;
    DataModule_Database.Database_SkyNet.Commit;
Except
    DataModule_Database.Database_SkyNet.RollBack;

Seems like everything goes OK. 30,000 records are accessed and saved, but
one day, the power was suddenly off, Our customer reported to us that
everything lost. After investigation, we found, when the program running,
the records that are inserted into the table, are not really inserted, the
size of the paradox table doesn't increased. The records are saved at some
strange palace like some temporary files. We try some method to let the data
be flushed to paradox table permanently, but they don't work. How can we do
to avoid data lost from accidental shutting down.

Thanks

Chip Wang

Wang...@public.szptt.net.cn

Re:Paradox records are not inserted into table permanently, abnormal shutting down makes data lost

hi

the bde caches the changes to increase speed (only in a local Paradox)

have you tried to use dbisavechanges(table1.handle)
maybe this helps

werner

"Chip Wang (??)" schrieb:

> Hi,

> We're now developing a online data accessing program using local Paradox
> tables.

> We follow the procedure like:

> Database_SkyNet.StartTransaction;
> Try
>     Query_InsertPanelEvent.SQL.Add( 'Insert IntoPanelEventTable ' );
>     ... ...
>     Query_InsertPanelEvent.ExecSQL;
>     DataModule_Database.Database_SkyNet.Commit;
> Except
>     DataModule_Database.Database_SkyNet.RollBack;

> Seems like everything goes OK. 30,000 records are accessed and saved, but
> one day, the power was suddenly off, Our customer reported to us that
> everything lost. After investigation, we found, when the program running,
> the records that are inserted into the table, are not really inserted, the
> size of the paradox table doesn't increased. The records are saved at some
> strange palace like some temporary files. We try some method to let the data
> be flushed to paradox table permanently, but they don't work. How can we do
> to avoid data lost from accidental shutting down.

> Thanks

> Chip Wang

> Wang...@public.szptt.net.cn

Re:Paradox records are not inserted into table permanently, abnormal shutting down makes data lost

Set LOCAL SHARE to true in the BDE Administrator.  By default pDox and dBase
write cache for performance reasons.  Setting Local Share to true will force the
BDE to write the changes immeadiately.  If that is not working for some reason
the in the AfterPost event of your datasets call FlushBuffers.  If that doesn't
help turn off the OS's write chace.  For Win9x that can be found in system
properties, files properties, troubleshooting.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
The mist crawls from the c{*word*7}like some primordial phantom of romance

Re:Paradox records are not inserted into table permanently, abnormal shutting down makes data lost

>We try some method to let the data
>be flushed to paradox table permanently, but they don't work. How can we do
>to avoid data lost from accidental shutting down.

Set local share in BDE to true

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com

Re:Paradox records are not inserted into table permanently, abnormal shutting down makes data lost

On Fri, 30 Jul 1999 00:47:25 +0800, "Chip Wang"

<wang...@public.szptt.net.cn> wrote:
>Thanks, Setting  LOCAL SHARE to true in the BDE Administrator really works,
>table size is increasing simultaneously. but that causes another problem:
>I'm always finding a prompt  when running:
>"Lock file has grown too large", what's wrong with that setting ?

Try 1) not having the data files in the same directory as the application's
executable file or 2) setting the TSession.PrivateDir property to a
different directory.

Steve Koterski                  "Computers are useless. They can only give
Technical Publications          you answers."
Borland                                       -- Pablo Picasso (1881-1973)
http://www.borland.com/techpubs/delphi

Re:Paradox records are not inserted into table permanently, abnormal shutting down makes data lost

Hi,
Thanks, Setting  LOCAL SHARE to true in the BDE Administrator really works,
table size is increasing simultaneously. but that causes another problem:
I'm always finding a prompt  when running:
"Lock file has grown too large", what's wrong with that setting ?

Chip.

Jeff Overcash (TeamB) <overc...@onramp.net> wrote in message

> Set LOCAL SHARE to true in the BDE Administrator.  By default pDox and
dBase
> write cache for performance reasons.  Setting Local Share to true will
force the
> BDE to write the changes immeadiately.  If that is not working for some
reason
> the in the AfterPost event of your datasets call FlushBuffers.  If that
doesn't
> help turn off the OS's write chace.  For Win9x that can be found in system
> properties, files properties, troubleshooting.

> "Chip Wang (??)" wrote:

> > Hi,

> > We're now developing a online data accessing program using local Paradox
> > tables.

> > Thanks

> > Chip Wang

> > Wang...@public.szptt.net.cn

> --
> Jeff Overcash (TeamB)
>       (Please do not email me directly unless  asked. Thank You)
> The mist crawls from the c{*word*7}like some primordial phantom of romance
> To curl, under the cascade of neon pollen.  While I sit tied to the phone
> like some expectant father, your carnation will rot in a vase.
>              (Fish)
> --

Re:Paradox records are not inserted into table permanently, abnormal shutting down makes data lost

>Thanks, Setting  LOCAL SHARE to true in the BDE Administrator really works,
>table size is increasing simultaneously. but that causes another problem:
>I'm always finding a prompt  when running:
>"Lock file has grown too large", what's wrong with that setting ?

borland has a document addressing that problem.

http://www.borland.com/devsupport/bde/ti_list/TI2993.html

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@NMPLS.com