Novell NetWare Client 32 problems with Delphi 3?

Hello,

I've had a hard day finding this out, but it -> seems <- (don't flame
me, I'm honest, that's what I saw!) that Delphi 3 has problems with
the 32-bit version of the 32-bit Novell IntranetWare Client. We have
upgraded our network to NetWare 4.11a and I wanted to upgrade my
Windows 95 machine to use the new client software. Previously I had
always used the 'Microsoft Client for Novell Networks' as the Novell
client. So now I replaced it with 'Novell NetWare Client 32'

(At last! Notification when a new mail arrives!) All went well, till I
tried to compile my last Delphi project that is... Compiling worked
without a hitch. But when Delphi started to link all hell broke loose.
'Unable to open XYZABC.DFM' it said. And not always on the same file.

??
??????
?????????? (utter astonishment. Delphi linking NEVER fails)

I tried to open the file XYZABC.DFM (which is stored on our Novell
Network) and that went without a problem. I opened the unit XYZABC.PAS
and hit F12 to view the form, no problem! I checked the file locks on
the Novell machine, nothing was locked there.

After hours and hours of searching I decided to remove the 32-bit
Novell client and presto! My project compiled again. Of course,
Pegasus Mail no longer finds my Mail on the Novell server :-(), but
that's not the main issue here.

Does anyone know whether I can change a setting on the Novell client
so that Delphi can compile my project fully? I've heard from my SysAdm
that other people on the net report problems with the 32 bit client.
Is it really that cranky?

BTW, does anyone know why Pegasus mail doesn't find the Novell server
anymore? This one's really annoying now that my Delphi is restored to
normal.

Thanks for your time guys, and...
beware of the evil update

Bart Loosvelt
b...@hemmis.be

Re:Novell NetWare Client 32 problems with Delphi 3?

Bart Loosvelt wrote:

> Does anyone know whether I can change a setting on the Novell client
> so that Delphi can compile my project fully? I've heard from my SysAdm
> that other people on the net report problems with the 32 bit client.
> Is it really that cranky?

I also observed strange behaviour regarding Delphi and Novell.

I have a database application (D2) which would not start correctly
if the executable is on a Novell 3.12 volume and the application
directory is not mounted as root.

Marco

Re:Novell NetWare Client 32 problems with Delphi 3?

Bart Loosvelt heeft geschreven in bericht
<35337d86.3131...@193.75.226.254>...
|Hello,
|
|I've had a hard day finding this out, but it -> seems <- (don't flame
|me, I'm honest, that's what I saw!) that Delphi 3 has problems with
|the 32-bit version of the 32-bit Novell IntranetWare Client. We have
|upgraded our network to NetWare 4.11a and I wanted to upgrade my
|Windows 95 machine to use the new client software. Previously I had
|always used the 'Microsoft Client for Novell Networks' as the Novell
|client. So now I replaced it with 'Novell NetWare Client 32'

But when Delphi started to link all hell broke loose.
|'Unable to open XYZABC.DFM' it said. And not always on the same file.

[snip]

Bart,
This is  a _very_ long shot, but could it be that deep down in WIN95
(network bindings), you have some protocol things connected twice?
It's a well known fact that Novell and MS$ try to mess up each other
on this.

I had a similar problem with mailslots. Every thing worked fine,
except for the fact that everything was received twice, because Client
Services for Netware AND NetBEUI were installed.

FWIW,

Regards,
Dirk Claessens
dirk.claessens@village.#NOSPAM#uunet.be
dirk.claessens.dc@belgium.#NOSPAM#agfa.com
remove #NOSPAM#  from mailheader

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998 15:54:27 GMT, b...@hemmis.be (Bart Loosvelt) wrote:
>I've had a hard day finding this out, but it -> seems <- (don't flame
>me, I'm honest, that's what I saw!) that Delphi 3 has problems with
>the 32-bit version of the 32-bit Novell IntranetWare Client.

I have been using that same setup for quite a while now without any
problems.  Most of our Delphi developers are using the Client 32
driver without any problems.  We don't have problems with Delphi 1 or
3.

    Jeffrey M\kern-.05em\raise.5ex\hbox{\b c}\kern-.05emArthur
    a.k.a. Jeffrey McArthur          ATLIS Publishing Services
    jeffmcart...@home.com            jmca...@atlis.com
    http://members.home.net/jeffmcarthur/
    Visit Tiglath, a Bronze Age D&D world
        http://members.home.net/jeffmcarthur/Jeffrey/DandD/Dandd.htm