Edit control component without 64K limit?

Where Can I find or How Can I create edit control component without
64K limit and with possibility of opening of any
files(exe,bmp...).(Delphi3, Win95)

Sorry for my english.
Thanks for answers
_________________________
Yuriy Zaharov
e-mail: z...@infopro.spb.su
http://www.chat.ru/~yuriy_vz

Re:Edit control component without 64K limit?

Yuriy Zaharov wrote:

> Where Can I find or How Can I create edit control component without
> 64K limit and with possibility of opening of any
> files(exe,bmp...).(Delphi3, Win95)

To this, I would add a second question:

Has an Edit Control under Windows NT Workstation 4.0 a 64K limit, using
Delphi 3 Standard?

Hans Kamp.

Re:Edit control component without 64K limit?

Hans Kamp schrieb in Nachricht <34960446....@introweb.nl>...

>To this, I would add a second question:

>Has an Edit Control under Windows NT Workstation 4.0 a 64K limit,
using
>Delphi 3 Standard?

>Hans Kamp.

Unfortunately, it still has the 64k limit under Win32 :-( Incredible,
isn't it?

Re:Edit control component without 64K limit?

In article <67788l$68...@demdwu11.telemedia.de>, rvelth...@cww.de says...

>Unfortunately, it still has the 64k limit under Win32 :-( Incredible,
>isn't it?

WRONG.  NT does support text > 64k.  Try to open a huge file in Notepad, it
WILL work.

You just need to tell the control how much you want it to support:

SendMessage(Edit1.Handle, EM_SETLIMITTEXT, any_large_number, 0);

or

Edit1.MaxLength := any_large_number;

--
Chris Hill
hil...@cs.purdue.edu

In article <678qj9$...@mozo.cc.purdue.edu> hil...@cs.purdue.edu (Chris Hill) writes:
>In article <67788l$68...@demdwu11.telemedia.de>, rvelth...@cww.de says...
>>Unfortunately, it still has the 64k limit under Win32 :-( Incredible,
>>isn't it?
>WRONG.  NT does support text > 64k.  Try to open a huge file in Notepad, it
>WILL work.
>You just need to tell the control how much you want it to support:
>SendMessage(Edit1.Handle, EM_SETLIMITTEXT, any_large_number, 0);
>or
>Edit1.MaxLength := any_large_number;

Well, that may be, Chris, but what I did was to equip myself with Orpheus
and/or InfoPower and they take care of the problem for me.  In 16 or in 32-bit
mode, for less than the cost of one day's coding time, the problem is gone.

I mean, think about it ... Windows' intrinsic implementation of these controls
probably did not spend a lot of time on how to handle huge amounts of text.
They figured on small, usually very-small, text sizes and coded for that.
Makes sense.  For larger quantities of bytes you build your own (or buy your
own) that visually looks the same.

Re:Edit control component without 64K limit?

In article <news-reply.6663.009D6...@sundialservices.com>,
news-re...@sundialservices.com says...

>Well, that may be, Chris, but what I did was to equip myself with Orpheus
>and/or InfoPower and they take care of the problem for me.  In 16 or in 32-bit
>mode, for less than the cost of one day's coding time, the problem is gone.

>I mean, think about it ... Windows' intrinsic implementation of these controls
>probably did not spend a lot of time on how to handle huge amounts of text.
>They figured on small, usually very-small, text sizes and coded for that.
>Makes sense.  For larger quantities of bytes you build your own (or buy your
>own) that visually looks the same.

Hey, great you solved your problem by buying controls.  I was just responding
to the claim that large text sizes are not supported on NT.  This is clearly
false.  If you are doing 16 bit development or Win95 development (again 16-bit
controls), you need custom controls anyway.  But if somemone needs a _free_
edit control on NT that is fully debugged, I suggest looking at the edit
control that comes with the OS.  I didn't make any claims about the performance
of the control either, but it does work.

Pardon me for speaking up.

--
Chris Hill
hil...@cs.purdue.edu

Re:Edit control component without 64K limit?

Chris Hill schrieb in Nachricht <678qj9$...@mozo.cc.purdue.edu>...

>In article <67788l$68...@demdwu11.telemedia.de>, rvelth...@cww.de
says...
>>Unfortunately, it still has the 64k limit under Win32
-( Incredible,
>>isn't it?

>WRONG.  NT does support text > 64k.  Try to open a huge file in
Notepad, it
>WILL work.

>You just need to tell the control how much you want it to support:

>SendMessage(Edit1.Handle, EM_SETLIMITTEXT, any_large_number, 0);

My Win95's notepad DOESN'T support texts > 64k. So if you're
developing for Win32 (95 and NT), you can't rely on the fact, that you
could use >64k on NT, right?

Rudy Velthuis

Re:Edit control component without 64K limit?

In article <67bqsm$5j...@demdwu11.telemedia.de>, rvelth...@cww.de says...

>Chris Hill schrieb in Nachricht <678qj9$...@mozo.cc.purdue.edu>...
>>In article <67788l$68...@demdwu11.telemedia.de>, rvelth...@cww.de
>says...
>>>Unfortunately, it still has the 64k limit under Win32
>-( Incredible,
>>>isn't it?

>>WRONG.  NT does support text > 64k.  Try to open a huge file in
>Notepad, it
>>WILL work.

>>You just need to tell the control how much you want it to support:

>>SendMessage(Edit1.Handle, EM_SETLIMITTEXT, any_large_number, 0);

>My Win95's notepad DOESN'T support texts > 64k. So if you're
>developing for Win32 (95 and NT), you can't rely on the fact, that you
>could use >64k on NT, right?

If you say Win32 is Win95 (or perhaps the intersection between Win95 and WinNT)
then you can't count on having the >64K ability.

To me WinNT is Win32 (or perhaps the union on Win95 and WinNT), and Win95 is a
subset.  As of NT 4, there are very few Win32 calls that aren't in NT but are
in 95 (ICM, and dynamic hardware being the main exceptions).

So it seems that you consider Win32 to be the intersection of 95 and NT, and I
consider it to be the union.  You consider WinNT to have extra features, I
consider Win95 deficient.

Call it whatever you want, WinNT supports it Win95 doeesn't (as usual).

--
Chris Hill
hil...@cs.purdue.edu

Re:Edit control component without 64K limit?

Chris Hill wrote...
>In article <67bqsm$5j...@demdwu11.telemedia.de>, rvelth...@cww.de
says...
>If you say Win32 is Win95 (or perhaps the intersection between Win95
and WinNT)
>then you can't count on having the >64K ability.

>To me WinNT is Win32 (or perhaps the union on Win95 and WinNT), and
Win95 is a
>subset.  As of NT 4, there are very few Win32 calls that aren't in NT
but are
>in 95 (ICM, and dynamic hardware being the main exceptions).

>So it seems that you consider Win32 to be the intersection of 95 and
NT, and I
>consider it to be the union.  You consider WinNT to have extra
features, I
>consider Win95 deficient.

It doesn't really matter how you look at it (Win95 is subset of Win
NT, or Win NT is superset of Win95). If you assume a TEdit can hold
more than 64k, you WILL run into problems in Win95 :( I wouldn't want
to write all my apps just for WinNT, excluding all the millions of
Win95 users :(( WinNT is more powerful, secure etc., but also more
expensive and not as commonly used. Until then, unless it's a specific
WinNT app, I would program for the most common denominator: Win95.

Rudy Velthuis

Hans Kamp <hansk...@introweb.nl> writes:
>Yuriy Zaharov wrote:

>> Where Can I find or How Can I create edit control component without
>> 64K limit and with possibility of opening of any
>> files(exe,bmp...).(Delphi3, Win95)
>To this, I would add a second question:
>Has an Edit Control under Windows NT Workstation 4.0 a 64K limit, using
>Delphi 3 Standard?
>Hans Kamp.

Have a check out of my site at http://yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au/~pfg/.
There you'll find a full document editing control that can handle any size
file (up to about 1Gb or so), and provides syntax highlighting capabilities.
I just need to fix up a bug with screen flickering when typing at speed, and
it'll be finished.

--
Paul Gilbert           | p...@yallara.cs.rmit.edu.au (The DreamMaster)
Bach App Sci, Bach Eng | The opinions expressed are my own, all my own, and

Other Threads