Board index » delphi » D4 and MSACCESS

D4 and MSACCESS

Dear Paul,

I've been using Delphi/Access for a long time and I'm pretty happy with the
performance. But 'slow' and 'fast' are relative classifications. I am using a
BDE replacement which is definately quicker than the BDE. Maybe you should
check out DirectAccess at http://www.opus.ch. This single DLL works like a
charm and the folks at Opus provide good support for their products.

Hope this helps.
Jan Bakuwel

BTW It might be an idea to post messages re Access to
borland.public.delphi.database.desktop; you probably reach more people there.

Quote
Paul Bartlett wrote:
> I have use D3 and MSACCESS quite a lot and it is sloooow!  Scott Frolich (I
> think) mentioned that D4 (Bde 5.0) would be quicker.  Anyone got any
> experience of this.

> Paul

 

Re:D4 and MSACCESS


Hi, Paul,

Interestingly enough, we've set up one of our live, dbOvernet multi-tier
servers running Access and we get a lot of hits against many tables in the
Access database (live, multi-tier, over the Internet stuff). We use strictly
the ODBC, not the Delphi drivers (they are very slowwwww...) and we're
pretty happy with the performance.

We also have a server running some multi-tier over-the-Internet MS SQL
databases, and its a bit faster, but not by a lot...

Are you using ODBC and the BDE or the BDE4.51 Access Driver and the BDE?

Fred R. Dalgleish, C.A., MBA
Dalco Technologies
EMail: i...@dbOvernet.NOSPAM.com

(remove the "nospam" on reply)
Meet the future head-on with dbOvernet -
multi-tier, thin client solutions for Delphi:
http://www.dbOvernet.com.

Quote
Paul Bartlett wrote in message <6o3gqd$lm...@forums.borland.com>...
>I have use D3 and MSACCESS quite a lot and it is sloooow!  Scott Frolich (I
>think) mentioned that D4 (Bde 5.0) would be quicker.  Anyone got any
>experience of this.

>Paul

Re:D4 and MSACCESS


I tried the trial of Opus DirectAccess and yes, it was great, fast and got
me out of a hole at the time, but then the MSACCESS native driver came along
(for free...ish) and I thought I should use this as it has such close ties
to Delphi and the BDE.

I know slow and fast are always relative, but the opening of a set of small
(100 records) tables via MSACCESS should take milli-seconds and yet my
rather complicated Delphi-MSACCESS application takes 10 seconds to load each
form that has perhaps ten tables on a form!

Paul

Quote
Jan Bakuwel (jan.baku...@ams.greenpeace.org) wrote in message

<35A5C692.33FCB...@nospam.com>...
Quote
>Dear Paul,

>I've been using Delphi/Access for a long time and I'm pretty happy with the
>performance. But 'slow' and 'fast' are relative classifications. I am using
a
>BDE replacement which is definately quicker than the BDE. Maybe you should
>check out DirectAccess at http://www.opus.ch. This single DLL works like a
>charm and the folks at Opus provide good support for their products.

>Hope this helps.
>Jan Bakuwel

>BTW It might be an idea to post messages re Access to
>borland.public.delphi.database.desktop; you probably reach more people
there.

>Paul Bartlett wrote:

>> I have use D3 and MSACCESS quite a lot and it is sloooow!  Scott Frolich
(I
>> think) mentioned that D4 (Bde 5.0) would be quicker.  Anyone got any
>> experience of this.

>> Paul

Re:D4 and MSACCESS


Yes we are using D3, MSACCESS with BDE 4.51.  Once the tables are open it is
fine, but the initial jolt to open the tables is big.

Paul

Quote
Fred R. Dalgleish wrote in message <6o6jai$p...@forums.borland.com>...
>Hi, Paul,

>Interestingly enough, we've set up one of our live, dbOvernet multi-tier
>servers running Access and we get a lot of hits against many tables in the
>Access database (live, multi-tier, over the Internet stuff). We use
strictly
>the ODBC, not the Delphi drivers (they are very slowwwww...) and we're
>pretty happy with the performance.

>We also have a server running some multi-tier over-the-Internet MS SQL
>databases, and its a bit faster, but not by a lot...

>Are you using ODBC and the BDE or the BDE4.51 Access Driver and the BDE?

>Fred R. Dalgleish, C.A., MBA
>Dalco Technologies
>EMail: i...@dbOvernet.NOSPAM.com

>(remove the "nospam" on reply)
>Meet the future head-on with dbOvernet -
>multi-tier, thin client solutions for Delphi:
>http://www.dbOvernet.com.

>Paul Bartlett wrote in message <6o3gqd$lm...@forums.borland.com>...
>>I have use D3 and MSACCESS quite a lot and it is sloooow!  Scott Frolich
(I
>>think) mentioned that D4 (Bde 5.0) would be quicker.  Anyone got any
>>experience of this.

>>Paul

Re:D4 and MSACCESS


Quote
Paul Bartlett wrote in message <6o73u3$p...@forums.borland.com>...
>Yes we are using D3, MSACCESS with BDE 4.51.  Once the tables are open it
is
>fine, but the initial jolt to open the tables is big.

I have stumbled on this same problem but with another DB Backend
Just starting up some of the forms was taking a long time but after the
initial load it was fine. I tracked the statements to the server via
SQLmonitor
and found that the application requested a lot of schema information to
initialize the fields and indexes( no persistent field objects in the
queries).
So knowing that I changed all the fields in the queries to persistent and
the application starts up a lot faster now. Also beaware that keeping
queries
open when you donot need them takes away performance.
Hope this helps
BTW I allways run everthing via the ODBC.

Re:D4 and MSACCESS


So you are using the new Access direct driver, then? I discarded it long
ago, having sent examples to the Inprise folks of tables taking up to 2 1/2
minutes to open. The problem is not with the number of records, it's with
the number of columns in the Access table, as near as I can figure. Add 50
or 60 fields, and go for dinner waiting for the table to open, even with
only 2 or 3 records.

Try setting up a scenario with tables of 5, 10, 20, 50 and 50 fields and
opening each. That should identify the problem.

We're stricly ODBC these days, from Access to SQL A (of course...<g>).

Fred

Quote
Paul Bartlett wrote in message <6o73u3$p...@forums.borland.com>...
>Yes we are using D3, MSACCESS with BDE 4.51.  Once the tables are open it
is
>fine, but the initial jolt to open the tables is big.

>Paul
>Fred R. Dalgleish wrote in message <6o6jai$p...@forums.borland.com>...
>>Hi, Paul,

>>Interestingly enough, we've set up one of our live, dbOvernet multi-tier
>>servers running Access and we get a lot of hits against many tables in the
>>Access database (live, multi-tier, over the Internet stuff). We use
>strictly
>>the ODBC, not the Delphi drivers (they are very slowwwww...) and we're
>>pretty happy with the performance.

>>We also have a server running some multi-tier over-the-Internet MS SQL
>>databases, and its a bit faster, but not by a lot...

>>Are you using ODBC and the BDE or the BDE4.51 Access Driver and the BDE?

>>Fred R. Dalgleish, C.A., MBA
>>Dalco Technologies
>>EMail: i...@dbOvernet.NOSPAM.com

>>(remove the "nospam" on reply)
>>Meet the future head-on with dbOvernet -
>>multi-tier, thin client solutions for Delphi:
>>http://www.dbOvernet.com.

>>Paul Bartlett wrote in message <6o3gqd$lm...@forums.borland.com>...
>>>I have use D3 and MSACCESS quite a lot and it is sloooow!  Scott Frolich
>(I
>>>think) mentioned that D4 (Bde 5.0) would be quicker.  Anyone got any
>>>experience of this.

>>>Paul

Other Threads