Problem using DCOM with both Win95 client and server

Hi,
I wrote a simple client and server applications with Delphi3. When I run
the server in the same PC as my client, it work fine. But when I try to run
the server on a remote PC (both using Win95) I always have the error
message "RPC server is unavailable". I follow all instructions that I found
in the internet to configure both client and server on Win95 PC (I install
DCOM for Win95, I modify the access properties for the network and I modify
the registry). I think it's because RPCSS.EXE not running but each time i
launch it manually I have no messages error but I don't see it in the the
running tasks. If I launch it with the startup folder I have the an error
message that tell me that a parameter is out of valid limits.

I also try to do it using the server on a WindowsNT Server 4 PC and the
client on a Windows95 PC but it's always the same thing.

Is someone have an idea of what I can do.

Thanks.

Re:Problem using DCOM with both Win95 client and server

microthermo wrote in message <01bd670d$1e8c7840$7b7b7b7b@paco>...
>Hi,
>I wrote a simple client and server applications with Delphi3. When I run
>the server in the same PC as my client, it work fine. But when I try to run
>the server on a remote PC (both using Win95) I always have the error
>message "RPC server is unavailable". I follow all instructions that I found
>in the internet to configure both client and server on Win95 PC (I install
>DCOM for Win95, I modify the access properties for the network and I modify
>the registry). I think it's because RPCSS.EXE not running but each time i
>launch it manually I have no messages error but I don't see it in the the
>running tasks. If I launch it with the startup folder I have the an error
>message that tell me that a parameter is out of valid limits.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
RPCSS = "rpcss.exe"

(This is how you launch RPCSS.)

And if you use Win95 on the server side you have to start the server app
manually - it won't start automatically.

Mark

Re:Problem using DCOM with both Win95 client and server

I already try to launch RPCSS automatically by the registry and by the
StartUp folder. When I do it I always have the error message telling to me
that a parameter is out of valid limits. When I start it manually before
starting the server I have no error message but it don't appear in runnning
tasks and after that I always have the message "RPC server is unavailable"
when I try to run the client. It's the same thing if the server is already
runnning or not

Marcel Popescu <mdpope...@geocities.com> wrote in article
<6gtohi$12...@forums.borland.com>...

> microthermo wrote in message <01bd670d$1e8c7840$7b7b7b7b@paco>...
> >Hi,
> >I wrote a simple client and server applications with Delphi3. When I run
> >the server in the same PC as my client, it work fine. But when I try to
run
> >the server on a remote PC (both using Win95) I always have the error
> >message "RPC server is unavailable". I follow all instructions that I
found
> >in the internet to configure both client and server on Win95 PC (I
install
> >DCOM for Win95, I modify the access properties for the network and I
modify
> >the registry). I think it's because RPCSS.EXE not running but each time
> >launch it manually I have no messages error but I don't see it in the
the
> >running tasks. If I launch it with the startup folder I have the an
error
> >message that tell me that a parameter is out of valid limits.

> HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunServices
> RPCSS = "rpcss.exe"

> (This is how you launch RPCSS.)

> And if you use Win95 on the server side you have to start the server app
> manually - it won't start automatically.

> Mark

Re:Problem using DCOM with both Win95 client and server

The "Paramater value not allowed" error message you are seeing is generated
by a bad entry in your _DEFAULT.PIF. Find the bad entry, fix it, and the
problem should go away. RPCSS still should have been loaded even though you
saw this message.

I am curious as to what happens when you manually run RPCSS. You say it
doesn't show in the task window. Do any other windows (i.e. a DOS box) get
created? Do you have PView or PView95 to see if RPCSS is really loaded in
memory?
-
Dan Miser
www.execpc.com/~dmiser

Re:Problem using DCOM with both Win95 client and server

Hi,

I don't find any _DEFAULT.PIF file and no one for RPCSS. The message
"Parameter value not allowed" appear only when RPCSS is started at the
lauch time (in the statup folder or in registry) and the message appear in
the "DOS" window so the message is generated by RPCSS itself. When I lauch
it manually, I just see a DOS window flashing once (closed after the
execution). If I do it directly from DOS I see nothing.I don't have
programs like PView but when I start a DOS window I see it in the running
tasks.

It's the procedure that I found in your web site that I executed. You wrote
that I have to set the "EnableRemoteConnect" registry to "Y", what I done.
But in Microsoft articles I saw this registry at two other ways :
"EnableRemoteConnection" and "EnabledRemoteConnections". I try these too
but it's the same problem. Microsoft also wrote that this registry must be
set at the Windows start to make possible RPCSS running.

I try my application on two WindowsNT Server and it work well so the
problem don't came from my application.

Re:Problem using DCOM with both Win95 client and server

A couple of things to note:

1) I believe all three forms of EnableRemoteConnectXXX will work.
2) The message "Parameter value not allowed" error message is
non-destructive. You should be able to run fine even with this message.
Have you tried to run your application after booting up and finding
this message? If so, did you have any problems?
3) The actual message you are seeing is a result of an incorrect
setting somewhere in the PIF that controls your DOS access. Have you
looked at COMMAND.PIF, or any other PIF files that may be controlling
this access?

Hope this helps.
-
Dan Miser
http://www.execpc.com/~dmiser

Re:Problem using DCOM with both Win95 client and server

Each time I try to run my application I have the error message "RPC server
is unavailable" even if I run the RPCSS before. If i'm refer to your
document the problem should be the RPCSS not running.

Re:Problem using DCOM with both Win95 client and server

The 3 causes of this error message are the only ones I've seen.

Let's summarize here:

1) Running RPCSS from RunServices gives you a DOS box with an error message,
and all attempts to connect your OLE server result in an "RPC Server is
Unavailable" mesage.
2) Running RPCSS from Start | Run just flashes a DOS box. You can then run
fine.
3) Running RPCSS from a DOS box (in \WINDOWS\SYSTEM) does nothing. You can
then run fine.

If this is correct, there are some other things at work, as this is not the
behavior I see when I try these steps. Can you verify that you made
EnableRemoteConnect a string value and not a subkey? What is the date and
size of your rpcss.exe? Mine is 1-26-97, size 12,288. Do you have DCOM 1.1
installed?

You might try searching Microsoft's KB or newsgroups too. If you find a
resolution, please let me know.
-
Dan Miser
www.execpc.com/~dmiser

Marc Hamel wrote in message <01bd6c08$fdcab3a0$5a5c59d1@marc>...
>Each time I try to run my application I have the error message "RPC server
>is unavailable" even if I run the RPCSS before. If i'm refer to your
>document the problem should be the RPCSS not running.

Other Threads