DB4, InstallShield Express, BDE, Paradox on Network Drive?

Using DB4 Pro, Paradox Tables.

InstallShield Express (came with DB4) for the installation - installs
the entire BDE.

I get my path from a local  .ini file and create my own Aliases, so as
to avoid the BDE CFG file. This works good.

If a user wants to install on a Network drive, should this setup work?
Or does he have to install the app on every workstation?

Thanks
Clare

Re:DB4, InstallShield Express, BDE, Paradox on Network Drive?

Hello,

correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you must install, not only the app on
every computer, but also the BDE.
Then remember to set LOCALSHARE := True;
This allow the programs to update the same table in one of the computers.

:)
Kai Inge

Clare <Claremf.removet...@usa.net> skrev i
meldingsnyheter:3909cf89.8850...@news.flex.com...

> Using DB4 Pro, Paradox Tables.

> InstallShield Express (came with DB4) for the installation - installs
> the entire BDE.

> I get my path from a local  .ini file and create my own Aliases, so as
> to avoid the BDE CFG file. This works good.

> If a user wants to install on a Network drive, should this setup work?
> Or does he have to install the app on every workstation?

> Thanks
> Clare

Re:DB4, InstallShield Express, BDE, Paradox on Network Drive?

Hi,

correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you must install, not only the app on

>every computer, but also the BDE.

Officially this is true. But there is some technical document available
on the Inprise website which tells you how to install the BDE in such
a way that you don't have to install it on every workstation.

Greetings,

Rob Segerink

>Kai Inge

>Clare <Claremf.removet...@usa.net> skrev i
>meldingsnyheter:3909cf89.8850...@news.flex.com...
>> Using DB4 Pro, Paradox Tables.

>> InstallShield Express (came with DB4) for the installation - installs
>> the entire BDE.

>> I get my path from a local  .ini file and create my own Aliases, so as
>> to avoid the BDE CFG file. This works good.

>> If a user wants to install on a Network drive, should this setup work?
>> Or does he have to install the app on every workstation?

>> Thanks
>> Clare

Re:DB4, InstallShield Express, BDE, Paradox on Network Drive?

The client installed first on his Network drive (didn't work), then
installed on his local drive (worked).  Then, copied the files (exe
and data)  from local drive to network drive and attempted to
run it from the network drive (while working on the same local
workstation where he installed) - didn't work.  Shouldn't this have
worked? Unfortunately I am across the country and have to tell him
what to do over the phone (and he is NOT computer - literate).  But I
really don't know what to tell him....

He is not really concerned with users using the program at the same
time - he just wants to be able to access same data from different
workstations.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Clare

On Mon, 1 May 2000 08:51:23 +0200, "Rob Segerink"

<rob.segerink<NOSPAM>@ict.nl> wrote:
>Hi,

>correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you must install, not only the app on
>>every computer, but also the BDE.

>Officially this is true. But there is some technical document available
>on the Inprise website which tells you how to install the BDE in such
>a way that you don't have to install it on every workstation.

>Greetings,

>Rob Segerink

>>Kai Inge

>>Clare <Claremf.removet...@usa.net> skrev i
>>meldingsnyheter:3909cf89.8850...@news.flex.com...
>>> Using DB4 Pro, Paradox Tables.

>>> InstallShield Express (came with DB4) for the installation - installs
>>> the entire BDE.

>>> I get my path from a local  .ini file and create my own Aliases, so as
>>> to avoid the BDE CFG file. This works good.

>>> If a user wants to install on a Network drive, should this setup work?
>>> Or does he have to install the app on every workstation?

>>> Thanks
>>> Clare

Re:DB4, InstallShield Express, BDE, Paradox on Network Drive?

Hi Clare,

well as I previously mentioned there is a document describing how
to install the BDE on a network without completely installing it on
every workstation. I don't know it's Id. So just go to the inprise
website and look at the white paper or faq section.

Greetings,

Rob Segerink

Clare wrote in message <390db6d0.9245...@news.flex.com>...
>The client installed first on his Network drive (didn't work), then
>installed on his local drive (worked).  Then, copied the files (exe
>and data)  from local drive to network drive and attempted to
>run it from the network drive (while working on the same local
>workstation where he installed) - didn't work.  Shouldn't this have
>worked? Unfortunately I am across the country and have to tell him
>what to do over the phone (and he is NOT computer - literate).  But I
>really don't know what to tell him....

>He is not really concerned with users using the program at the same
>time - he just wants to be able to access same data from different
>workstations.

>Any help is greatly appreciated!

>Thanks
>Clare

>On Mon, 1 May 2000 08:51:23 +0200, "Rob Segerink"
><rob.segerink<NOSPAM>@ict.nl> wrote:

>>Hi,

>>correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you must install, not only the app on
>>>every computer, but also the BDE.

>>Officially this is true. But there is some technical document available
>>on the Inprise website which tells you how to install the BDE in such
>>a way that you don't have to install it on every workstation.

>>Greetings,

>>Rob Segerink

>>>Kai Inge

>>>Clare <Claremf.removet...@usa.net> skrev i