Deplhi and Paradox on Windows 95 network

Does the Paradox that comes with Delphi III Professional have any
licensing limitations when  accessed by many workstations over a
network.  The server can access the database and then a Workstation
but when a second workstation accesses the data we get an error.
<directory controlled by another .NET file>.

Is Paradox reliable over a network, we seem to lose data every now and
then or get a key violation with the autoincrement field?

We use Install shield to install it on all PCs and then change
the alias of them all to point to a shared drive. Can this method
cause any Data Corruption to occur?

Re:Deplhi and Paradox on Windows 95 network

On Tue, 12 May 1998 00:04:11 +0200, "Christo Botha" <cebo...@nis.za>
wrote:

>Does the Paradox that comes with Delphi III Professional have any
>licensing limitations when  accessed by many workstations over a
>network.  The server can access the database and then a Workstation
>but when a second workstation accesses the data we get an error.
><directory controlled by another .NET file>.

>Is Paradox reliable over a network, we seem to lose data every now and
>then or get a key violation with the autoincrement field?

>We use Install shield to install it on all PCs and then change
>the alias of them all to point to a shared drive. Can this method
>cause any Data Corruption to occur?

There are not license restrictions. There are some internal limits on
Paradox, but certainly two workstations shouldn't be a problem. You
are setting things up correctly to point all aliases to a common
directory. Make sure the network control files are also pointed to the
common directory.

File corruption has many causes and a number of users have found
autoincrment fields unreliable. I personally have not had a problem
despite fairly intensive use but still you might want to avoid them if
you can.

Steve F (Team B)

Re:Deplhi and Paradox on Windows 95 network

>Does the Paradox that comes with Delphi III Professional have any
>licensing limitations when  accessed by many workstations over a
>network.

No

>The server can access the database and then a Workstation
>but when a second workstation accesses the data we get an error.
><directory controlled by another .NET file>.

All users sharing directories must use the same physical directory for their
location of thier network control file and also address that location with the
same path name except that the drive letter can be different.
32bit  BDE can use UNC notation for the path specification.

>Is Paradox reliable over a network, we seem to lose data every now and
>then or get a key violation with the autoincrement field?

Where paradox and the network are setup and configured properly I have found
Paradox tables to be stable.

>We use Install shield to install it on all PCs and then change
>the alias of them all to point to a shared drive. Can this method
>cause any Data Corruption to occur?

This will not cause corruption.

--
Brian Bushay (TeamB)
Bbus...@DataGuidance.com

Re:Deplhi and Paradox on Windows 95 network

Christo:

Please refer to my post and the reply's I received dated Sun 5/10/98
16:42.
Should  be of much help.

Christo Botha wrote:
> Does the Paradox that comes with Delphi III Professional have any
> licensing limitations when  accessed by many workstations over a
> network.  The server can access the database and then a Workstation
> but when a second workstation accesses the data we get an error.
> <directory controlled by another .NET file>.

> Is Paradox reliable over a network, we seem to lose data every now and
> then or get a key violation with the autoincrement field?

> We use Install shield to install it on all PCs and then change
> the alias of them all to point to a shared drive. Can this method
> cause any Data Corruption to occur?

Other Threads