Q: compiling for high memory, pmode (BP7) ?

A nicely working program (compiled in BP7), has now become so large
(700k, large amount of static arrays), that it does not run under msdos
anymore...

-Q:--
Can I instruct the compiler (BP7) to compile the program thus, that it
can access more memory (more then the 640k), using pmode, or something?
  >> If yes, how? <<
  If no, what other borland/turbo pascal version can do it, if any (for
dos)?
---

Thanks alot, this is quite a problem for me!
_____________
Christoph Zrenner

Re:Q: compiling for high memory, pmode (BP7) ?

Prof. Dr. E. Zrenner (ezren...@uni-tuebingen.de) wrote:

> A nicely working program (compiled in BP7), has now become so large
> (700k, large amount of static arrays), that it does not run under msdos
> anymore...

> -Q:--
> Can I instruct the compiler (BP7) to compile the program thus, that it
> can access more memory (more then the 640k), using pmode, or something?
>   >> If yes, how? <<
>   If no, what other borland/turbo pascal version can do it, if any (for
> dos)?

BP7's protected mode can use more than 640 KB in total, but it's
still limited to 64 KB for static data, and 64 KB for any single
data structure (incl. dynamic data). If your static data get bigger
than this, and you don't want to change your program, you need a
32 bit compiler. If your program does heavy calculations
(typically non-interactively, as with some kind of scientific
programs), this might also increase the execution speed, because
32 bit code is often faster than 16 bit code, and most other
compilers optimize better than BP.

--
Frank Heckenbach, Erlangen, Germany, heck...@mi.uni-erlangen.de
Internet links:        http://home.pages.de/~fjf/links.htm