BP7 STUB

Hi!

I'm looking for any material at all describing the borland pascal stub.

Questions:

1. Whatta h** does S-T-U-B stand for?????
2. There is a demogroup in Sweden called Triton and they use BP7. Anyhow,
they have managed to interpret the special .exe-header that BP puts in front
of its protected mode programs and then they have replaced the stub with
their own dos-extender. And my question is, how?? Is there perhaps some
material out (official/inofficial) there that describes the stub internal
structure?

I would be much obliged if anyone could help me out...

Daniel Johansson

- Daniel Johansson                                                 -
- Student at the university of Ume?                                -

Re:BP7 STUB

n...@cs.umu.se (News Administrator) wrote:
>1. Whatta h** does S-T-U-B stand for?????

It's not an acronym.  It's just a different use of the English word
"stub", meaning something like "stump".

>2. There is a demogroup in Sweden called Triton and they use BP7. Anyhow,
>they have managed to interpret the special .exe-header that BP puts in front
>of its protected mode programs and then they have replaced the stub with
>their own dos-extender. And my question is, how?? Is there perhaps some
>material out (official/inofficial) there that describes the stub internal
>structure?

The stub is just a regular real mode DOS program; it doesn't need any
special structure.  However, it needs to know how to load a Windows
3.x style executable, which is what the rest of the file is.  When
but DOS runs it.  (It's usually the thing that says "this program
requires Microsoft Windows".  BTW,  Windows won't load a pmode DOS
program because of a flag in the header.)

So what your replacement stub needs to do is not at all trivial.
Perhaps the DOS extender those people used made it easy for them.

Duncan Murdoch

Re:BP7 STUB

Daniel,
You should take a look to CICA mirrors and find somewhere in win3/util
the so named AUTOSTUB.ZIP file where its author gives a fully commented
STUB source in ASM. This may replace the WINSTUB so that you can launch
Windows+your_app directly from Dos if Win doesn't seem to be alive, or
execute your_app normally from Progman/winfile/...etc...
This file contains a txt doc, the source in MASM, and an AUSTOSTUB.EXE
ready for use: you substitute it to the regular WINSTUB.EXE.
Thanks to its author : Steve Flynn.
Have fun!
--
Salutations,