Connecting to a IB database thru the internet

Hello again:

i am a new developer and am naive, so pmiia (pardon my ignorance in advance)

can u connect to an interbase database over the internet thru a 'thin
client' rather than thru an html browser.  otherwise, using c++ builder, can
i drop a winsocket on a datamodule form and point it to the internet server
my database is on and expect to be able to connect to it?

Re:Connecting to a IB database thru the internet

In article <3b2c06ad_1@dnews>, Jonathan Freedman wrote:
> can u connect to an interbase database over the internet thru a 'thin
> client' rather than thru an html browser.  otherwise, using c++ builder, can
> i drop a winsocket on a datamodule form and point it to the internet server
> my database is on and expect to be able to connect to it?

It will work. I have done it from Scotts Valley  California to Toronto Canada
via a dial line to Compuserve. It works but was slow.

Remember that everything you send is out in the open and unencrypted

hth

Robert Schieck (TeamB)
MER Systems Inc.
Inprise/Borland/InterBase Search Engine http://www.mers.com/searchsite.html

Jonathan Freedman wrote:
> Hello again:

> i am a new developer and am naive, so pmiia (pardon my ignorance in advance)

> can u connect to an interbase database over the internet thru a 'thin
> client' rather than thru an html browser.  otherwise, using c++ builder, can
> i drop a winsocket on a datamodule form and point it to the internet server
> my database is on and expect to be able to connect to it?

An excellent product that does this is ASTA from www.astatech.com

I am using it for an application that I am developing for a client.

Cheers,
Phillip

Re:Connecting to a IB database thru the internet

You can do this quite easily with DataSnap (formerly Midas). If you use the
Web connection components it uses HTTP as the protocol so you can easily
connect through a firewall.

--
Bill

Re:Connecting to a IB database thru the internet

You can connect with GDS32.DLL to the IB server if you have a public
(internet) IP address to your server and you allow port 3050 on your
firewall. This means that any IB's application can connect (such IBConsole,
ISQL, your own applications etc.). To test my own applications over the
internet (I use D5 & IBX) y go to another site and connect to my IB sevrer
at my office and works, slow but well.

--
Sergio Samayoa
Lgica Software

Re:Connecting to a IB database thru the internet

> It will work. I have done it from Scotts Valley  California to Toronto
Canada
> via a dial line to Compuserve. It works but was slow.
> Remember that everything you send is out in the open and unencrypted

It's pretty easy to for the security problem with SSH tunnelling, at the
cost of making things slightly slower still.

--
[ Kyle Cordes * k...@kylecordes.com * www.kylecordes.com  ]
[ Developer, Consultant, Trainer: Java, Delphi, ASTA, etc.]

In article <3b2d2b1b$2_2@dnews>, Kyle Cordes wrote:
> It's pretty easy to for the security problem with SSH tunnelling, at the
> cost of making things slightly slower still.

It is cool for one connection , but if you want to make many connections
from one machine to another there is a problem with openssh....

Robert Schieck (TeamB)
MER Systems Inc.
Inprise/Borland/InterBase Search Engine
http://www.mers.com/searchsite.html