Sybase ASA 6 / Delphi 4 / Crystal 6 / ODBC

Hello there,

I'm having very real problems with a project I'm writing using Sybase
Adaptive Server Anywhere 6, Delphi 4 and Crystal Reports 6.

I'm no newbie, (I've linked these 3 several times in the past) and I'm sure
it's not obvious, but here goes ...

I've set up an ODBC driver for the database, and I'm using direct calls to
the CR Print engine to achive the linking. (peloginserverwithprivateinfo
works fine)

More often than not (but by no means all the time) whenever I start a a
certain report the sybase ASA server will give me one of the following
errors:

"ODBC Error [Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive Server Anywhere] General Error:
connection was terminated" or "ODBC Error [Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive
Server Anywhere] General Error: communication link failure: communication
error".

The crystal report engine will then return an error
"500 - Not Enough Memory for operation"

And from then onwards, every other effort the application makes to read a
table on the database is met with "ODBC Error [Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive
Server Anywhere] General Error: connection was terminated".  I've been
getting this on the development pc where the Sybase is running local, so I
think talk of communication errors seem unlikely. I also get in on other
networked PCs which link to the database server using IPX.

The Crystal Report has three subreports on it, and I was wondering if it was
that (but the report runs fine within Crystal Reports itself). But failing
that I'm completely out of ideas. I've modified the Delphi stack sizes, and
the ASA Server startups, but I'm still drawing blanks.

It's a usual pressure job - this is the final(!) element of a large project
which has to be installed on Wednesday. I just don't get it

All help gratefully received.

Jason Hankin

Re:Sybase ASA 6 / Delphi 4 / Crystal 6 / ODBC

>"ODBC Error [Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive Server Anywhere] General Error:
>connection was terminated" or "ODBC Error [Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive
>Server Anywhere] General Error: communication link failure: communication
>error".

have a look at the timeout-settings (e.g. disable 'em) of the server
and the dbclients.

ciao, jan

dokumentenmanagement und mehr: http://www.rsp.de/

Re:Sybase ASA 6 / Delphi 4 / Crystal 6 / ODBC

Jan,

Thanks for this ... I can see why this could work on the the client set ..
But given that I'm getting the same problem on the development machine, I
can't see how to implement it ...

Jason

Jan Rosinowski wrote in message <3742058c.61363...@192.168.1.199>...
>>"ODBC Error [Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive Server Anywhere] General Error:
>>connection was terminated" or "ODBC Error [Sybase][ODBC Driver][Adaptive
>>Server Anywhere] General Error: communication link failure: communication
>>error".

>have a look at the timeout-settings (e.g. disable 'em) of the server
>and the dbclients.

>ciao, jan

>dokumentenmanagement und mehr: http://www.rsp.de/

Re:Sybase ASA 6 / Delphi 4 / Crystal 6 / ODBC

>Thanks for this ... I can see why this could work on the the client set ..
>But given that I'm getting the same problem on the development machine, I
>can't see how to implement it ...

dbserver -?

        -ta -ti -tl -tq -tr

might be what you're looking for (v.5.5.04, v6 still shrink wrapped)

ciao, jan

dokumentenmanagement und mehr: http://www.rsp.de/

Other Threads