pascal program hangs although no compiling errors

Hi,

I declare a data structure and compiles the program... and it works
alright...
but after an addition of a integer type in the data structure under
"Type" and "Var", the program does not work, although there are no compiling
errors...

What could be the problem??

Thanks.

Re:pascal program hangs although no compiling errors

In article <389053b...@news.{*word*104}way.com.sg>,
  "Lim" <li...@pacific.net.sg> wrote:

> Hi,

> I declare a data structure and compiles the program... and it works
> alright...
> but after an addition of a integer type in the data structure under
> "Type" and "Var", the program does not work, although there are no
> compiling errors...

> What could be the problem??

I stare in my crystal ball, but unfortunately the bit of code you refer
to cannot be seen.

Robert
--
Robert AH Prins
prin...@willis.com

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Re:pascal program hangs although no compiling errors

> I declare a data structure and compiles the program... and it works
> alright...
> but after an addition of a integer type in the data structure under
> "Type" and "Var", the program does not work, although there are no compiling
> errors...
> What could be the problem??

   Gremlins.  Bad karma.  Sun spots.
   Seriously, from what little you tell us here (you don't even explain
"what" doesn't work...the program aborts, it produces wrong results, it
loops forever, etc.), it's completely impossible to even guess.  And
since you don't post your data descriptions, you've given us absolutely
nothing to work with...

Re:pascal program hangs although no compiling errors

> I declare a data structure and compiles the program... and it works
> alright...
> but after an addition of a integer type in the data structure under
> "Type" and "Var", the program does not work, although there are no
compiling
> errors...

> What could be the problem??

That we all don't have enough information to help you. Please give us the
relevant parts of the source.

Roland

Re:pascal program hangs although no compiling errors

In article <389053b...@news.{*word*104}way.com.sg>, Lim <li...@pacific.net.sg> wrote:
>Hi,

>I declare a data structure and compiles the program... and it works
>alright...
>but after an addition of a integer type in the data structure under
>"Type" and "Var", the program does not work, although there are no compiling
>errors...

>What could be the problem??

It could be anything. One of the most effective ways of{*word*154} a
computer is to write through nil pointer. This destroys the interrupt
table and causes immediate hangup. Unfortunately there is no simple way
for TP to test these automatically. If one uses BP then compiling to
protected mode catch those. (IMO having the most critical data structure at
the beginning of the memory with no protection is a bug in 80x86. They
should have made the first paragraph unaccessible and started the
interrupts from the second one)

It could also be simple reference past arrays. Try {$R+} to catch
those. Even an never-ending loop could cause a state resembling crash.

The fact that you seem to be surprised of the result shows you are a
novice. IMO it is more surprising if a program, does not do that on the
first run.

Osmo

Other Threads