Standard Delphi database support?

In browsing through Borland's WWW Delphi literature, there is a comparison of
the Client/Server version of Delphi with the "standard" version of Delphi
which seems to suggest that the "standard" version does not have any built-in
support for local databases.  Then, in the product information on the
"standard" version of Delphi, there is reference to ODBC, dBASE, and local
Interbase support.  What gives?  Which one is correct?

The C/S version of Delphi is somewhat rich for my taste at the moment, but I'd
like to play with it nonetheless.  Would the "standard" version allow me to
build useful database apps?  If so, using what?

Thanks,
---
David Ehrens, da...@pencilnet.com

Re:Standard Delphi database support?

The C/S Delphi is for connectivity to Database Servers and Mainframes
(i.e. SQL Servers, Interbase, etc.).  The standard Delphi will work with
DBase, Paradox, local Interbase, ODBC (depending upon version), and
client driven SQL functions.  Standard delphi does handle file locking
and sharing capabilities for access to LAN-based xbase, pdox, etc. files.

Hope that answers the question.

Temple

Re:Standard Delphi database support?

In article <4c455v$8o0_...@dialupS164.ici.net>
           da...@pencilnet.com "David Ehrens" writes:

>In browsing through Borland's WWW Delphi literature, there is a comparison of
>the Client/Server version of Delphi with the "standard" version of Delphi
>which seems to suggest that the "standard" version does not have any built-in
>support for local databases.  Then, in the product information on the
>"standard" version of Delphi, there is reference to ODBC, dBASE, and local
>Interbase support.  What gives?  Which one is correct?

>The C/S version of Delphi is somewhat rich for my taste at the moment, but I'd
>like to play with it nonetheless.  Would the "standard" version allow me to
>build useful database apps?  If so, using what?

The Client/Server version has 'native drivers' for several SQL server
databases which give better performance than ODBC drivers and a multiuser
copy of Interbase. Otherwise there is no difference in database support
between the two. ODBC drivers are supplied with the database products so
with Delphi itself you have dBase, Paradox and Local Interbase. There
are components available which allow you use other database files.

--
Donald Oddy
Grove Systems Ltd.                                    0161-224 4465

Re:Standard Delphi database support?

In <4c455v$8o0_...@dialupS164.ici.net> da...@pencilnet.com (David

Ehrens) writes:

>In browsing through Borland's WWW Delphi literature, there is a
comparison of
>the Client/Server version of Delphi with the "standard" version of
Delphi
>which seems to suggest that the "standard" version does not have any
built-in
>support for local databases.  Then, in the product information on the
>"standard" version of Delphi, there is reference to ODBC, dBASE, and
local
>Interbase support.  What gives?  Which one is correct?

>The C/S version of Delphi is somewhat rich for my taste at the moment,
but I'd
>like to play with it nonetheless.  Would the "standard" version allow
me to
>build useful database apps?  If so, using what?

>Thanks,
>---
>David Ehrens, da...@pencilnet.com

The only difference between the desktop and the c/s version is support
for many users.  The desktop version will suffice for everything evn
for multiuser apps
Ben
Arrow

Re:Standard Delphi database support?

Hello!

I'm doing complex lookup on my Paradox table's OnCalcRecords event. When
my application first starts, this lookup is quite fast. But when I
insert or edit a record into the table, the lookups become slower. How
do I speed up the lookup after an edit? Do I somehow have to close and
then reopen the index?

Regards,

Jani

Jani Jarvinen, Helsinki Finland          jani.jrvi...@hiway.fipnet.fi

Check out Help Editor 2.0 for Windows at:
ftp://ftp.mpoli.fi/metropoli/windows/utils/hlped20.zip

1996: Only four years to computer confusion!
What have you done to avoid it?
---
 * SLMR 2.1a *

Other Threads