SQL Server or Interbase

I am in the process of deciding whic datdabase will we use for a new
project:

Our project involves
-remote clients using Internet and Delphi to acces our database
-local area network clients using delphi application
-Internet clients using explorer or netscape

Should I use SQL Server 2000 or Interbase 6?

Re:SQL Server or Interbase

Luis Deleon wrote:

> Our project involves
> -remote clients using Internet and Delphi to acces our database
> -local area network clients using delphi application
> -Internet clients using explorer or netscape

> Should I use SQL Server 2000 or Interbase 6?

        Based on the criteria you listed, either one will work fine.

        -Craig

We're hiring: http://www.vertexsoftware.com/careerops.htm#sd

Re:SQL Server or Interbase

Based on my experience with Interbase getting corrupted very often,
take the MS SQL

Doru

Craig Stuntz (TeamB) <cstuntz@no_spam.vertexsoftware.com> wrote in message

> Luis Deleon wrote:

> > Our project involves
> > -remote clients using Internet and Delphi to acces our database
> > -local area network clients using delphi application
> > -Internet clients using explorer or netscape

> > Should I use SQL Server 2000 or Interbase 6?

> Based on the criteria you listed, either one will work fine.

> -Craig

> --
>  Craig Stuntz (TeamB) Vertex Systems Corp. Columbus, OH
> We're hiring: http://www.vertexsoftware.com/careerops.htm#sd
>      Delphi/InterBase WebLog: http://delphi.weblogs.com

Re:SQL Server or Interbase

Doru Roman wrote:

> Based on my experience with Interbase getting corrupted very often,
> take the MS SQL

        Your experience is different than mine.

        -Craig

We're hiring: http://www.vertexsoftware.com/careerops.htm#sd

Re:SQL Server or Interbase

I like InterBase and as a rule dislike MS products, but I have found that if
your InterBase database uses triggers performance will decrease over time
until eventually it grinds to a halt. Then you have to do a backup and
restore to get it working.

Doing the same test on MS SQL it did not slow down notibly and also did not
require the same amount of maintenance.

This was IB 5.5, don't know if they fixed it in 6

Martin

> Doru Roman wrote:

> > Based on my experience with Interbase getting corrupted very often,
> > take the MS SQL

> Your experience is different than mine.

> -Craig

> --
>  Craig Stuntz (TeamB) Vertex Systems Corp. Columbus, OH
> We're hiring: http://www.vertexsoftware.com/careerops.htm#sd
>      Delphi/InterBase WebLog: http://delphi.weblogs.com

Re:SQL Server or Interbase

Craig,

I had the database corrupted when:
- I tried to drop the primary key and then reset it on a 2 (two) records
table.
It was compaining about duplicate values (it is insane). I copyed the
content
in a similar table I created, droped the original table, recreated it and
populated with the copy. After that it did not compain again of duplicate
values.
In another instance I made a backup, then a restore, and the records were
gone,
so it let me set up the primary key again.
- I got the content of a stored procedure deleted.
- I tried to delete (using ISQL) the content of 6 tables. At the end of the
operations
and after a sweep we could not even do a backup or drop and recreate one of
the
tables. The database is completly useless.
Can you call it other than a very bad experience? I am tempted to say a
NIGHTMARE.

Doru

Craig Stuntz (TeamB) <cstuntz@no_spam.vertexsoftware.com> wrote in message

> Doru Roman wrote:

> > Based on my experience with Interbase getting corrupted very often,
> > take the MS SQL

> Your experience is different than mine.

> -Craig

> --
>  Craig Stuntz (TeamB) Vertex Systems Corp. Columbus, OH
> We're hiring: http://www.vertexsoftware.com/careerops.htm#sd
>      Delphi/InterBase WebLog: http://delphi.weblogs.com

Re:SQL Server or Interbase

MArtin,

it is not a matter of slowing down (which I also encountered in a different
situation).
The database got corrupted in several cases. Last time the DB got useless.
We cannot
even do a backup on it.

Doru
P.S. I am not a fan of Microsoft but as long as I worked with SQL Server I
did
not have any problems.

Doru Roman wrote:

> Can you call it other than a very bad experience? I am tempted to say a
> NIGHTMARE.

        I can call it atypical.  We ship IB to hundreds of customers with no
technical skills whatsoever.  Many of them don't even bother to back it
up regularly, despite our pleas.  Others will shut off the server while
it is active.  Only twice (in 5 years of shipping and supporting IB)
have I seen an IB database corrupted.

        As for SQL Server, it's also generally stable, but it requires much
more maintenance than IB.  We've managed to corrupt SQL Server databases
a couple times, but we don't use it as much as IB.

        I can't help you with your experience based on the limited information
you supply in your message.  But do make sure you turn Forced Writes ON.

Martin Steyn wrote:

> This was IB 5.5, don't know if they fixed it in 6

        IB 5.5 has serious bugs which can corrupt the DB, but these were fixed
in IB 5.6, which has been out for at least a couple years now.

In article <3B954A1A.E38C282F@no_spam.vertexsoftware.com>,
cstuntz@no_spam.vertexsoftware.com says...

> Doru Roman wrote:

> > Based on my experience with Interbase getting corrupted very often,
> > take the MS SQL

>    Your experience is different than mine.

>    -Craig

I confirm Craig's experience.  I have never seen a corrupted IB database
over the past six years of working with them.

Re:SQL Server or Interbase

"Doru Roman" <Constan...@telehop.com> wrote in message

> Based on my experience with Interbase getting corrupted very often,
> take the MS SQL

If your Interbase database is getting corrupted, there is reason for it and
more than likely well-known solutions. Interbase is *not* known for being
easily corruptable, it is very robust. What symptoms are you encountering?

--
Wayne Niddery (Logic Fundamentals, Inc.)
RADBooks: http://www.logicfundamentals.com/RADBooks/delphibooks.html

Re:SQL Server or Interbase

> I like InterBase and as a rule dislike MS products, but I have found that
if
> your InterBase database uses triggers performance will decrease over time
> until eventually it grinds to a halt. Then you have to do a backup and
> restore to get it working.

I use triggers a lot and have never seen such conditions. Performance
degradation like you describe is often the result of transactions being left
open too long.

--

Doru Roman wrote:
> and after a sweep we could not even do a backup or drop and recreate one of
> the tables. The database is completly useless.

IIRC, the corruptions on IB/5.x before IB/5.6 was (mostly) caused by
sweeping.  IB/5.6 has been out for about 3 years  (and was a free
upgrade).
Other causes of corruption can be flaky h/w or having the server
switched off (while not using ForceWrites=ON).
Personal experience: One corruption (caused by the sweep bug on a test
database) in about 4 years using IB/5.6, 5.1, 5.6, 6.0 and Fb/0.9.x on
Win/NT4 and Win2k.

Regards,
Aage J.

Other Threads