Board index » delphi » MS SQL 7, IDAPI, Access Violation

MS SQL 7, IDAPI, Access Violation

Is there a limit on the number of tables that can be opened in MS SQL
7?  I'm fishing around for a fix to an access violation I can't seem to
escape...

Please reply to newsgroup.

Todd

 

Re:MS SQL 7, IDAPI, Access Violation


No, an access violation in IDAPI when making the connection to a table
in MS SQL 7 with more than 47 columns.  I've verified that there is no
problem opening a similarly constructed table in both Pervasive SQL 7
and MS Access.

I'm certain at this point that the limitation is not with the number of
tables that can be opened but in the number of fields defined in the
table.

Again, any solutions are welcome.

Todd Grigsby
Panoramic Software, Inc.

PS. Please remove "no." and "spam." if replying by email.

-------------------------

Quote
Lluis Turr wrote:

> An access violation in your program? when?
> Looks more a program mistake that not an SQL/Idapi limitation.

> Todd Grigsby <delp...@no.tgrigsby.spam.com> escribi en el mensaje de
> noticias 3720B818.BAC92...@no.tgrigsby.spam.com...
> > Is there a limit on the number of tables that can be opened in MS SQL
> > 7?  I'm fishing around for a fix to an access violation I can't seem to
> > escape...

> > Please reply to newsgroup.

> > Todd

Re:MS SQL 7, IDAPI, Access Violation


I had the exact same problem.
(look for previous messages a couple of weeks ago in this group)
I don't think it has to do with the number of fields as much as
it does with the record length size.
Money fields seem to be the biggest problem, followed by Floats.
My major app worked perfectly with sql 6.x, but it {*word*88}s on 7.0,
or rather, BDE does the crashing to be more exact. I had to
split up my tables, and set tables to StoreDefs.false. (don't ask me why)
A lot of folks told me to live with it and use TQuery, but
I was performing TBatchmove operations off underlying ASCII files.
Maybe in a couple of years Borland will fix it.
Search www.dejanews.com to see a lot of other reports of this
same problem.

Bill
bir...@nortix.com

Quote
Todd Grigsby wrote in message <3721044D.3EFF...@no.tgrigsby.spam.com>...
>No, an access violation in IDAPI when making the connection to a table
>in MS SQL 7 with more than 47 columns.  I've verified that there is no
>problem opening a similarly constructed table in both Pervasive SQL 7
>and MS Access.

>I'm certain at this point that the limitation is not with the number of
>tables that can be opened but in the number of fields defined in the
>table.

>Again, any solutions are welcome.

>Todd Grigsby
>Panoramic Software, Inc.

>PS. Please remove "no." and "spam." if replying by email.

>-------------------------

>Lluis Turr wrote:

>> An access violation in your program? when?
>> Looks more a program mistake that not an SQL/Idapi limitation.

>> Todd Grigsby <delp...@no.tgrigsby.spam.com> escribi en el mensaje de
>> noticias 3720B818.BAC92...@no.tgrigsby.spam.com...
>> > Is there a limit on the number of tables that can be opened in MS SQL
>> > 7?  I'm fishing around for a fix to an access violation I can't seem to
>> > escape...

>> > Please reply to newsgroup.

>> > Todd

Re:MS SQL 7, IDAPI, Access Violation


An access violation in your program? when?
Looks more a program mistake that not an SQL/Idapi limitation.

Todd Grigsby <delp...@no.tgrigsby.spam.com> escribi en el mensaje de
noticias 3720B818.BAC92...@no.tgrigsby.spam.com...

Quote
> Is there a limit on the number of tables that can be opened in MS SQL
> 7?  I'm fishing around for a fix to an access violation I can't seem to
> escape...

> Please reply to newsgroup.

> Todd

Re:MS SQL 7, IDAPI, Access Violation


Bill,

First, thanks so much for responding!

Second:

Quote
> split up my tables, and set tables to StoreDefs.false.

Thanks, I'll try the StoreDefs.  Splitting up the table really isn't an
option, I'm afraid...

Quote
> Search www.dejanews.com to see a lot of other reports of this
> same problem.

Dejanews didn't show anything on this, and I have an archive of about
20000 messages from this group and I couldn't find it in there either.

Re:MS SQL 7, IDAPI, Access Violation


Re:MS SQL 7, IDAPI, Access Violation


StoreDefs was already false.

<heavy sigh...muttered curses...>

OPEN LETTER TO BORLAND:

Alright guys, this is pretty bad.  I need TTables that can see more than
47 fields in a MSSQL 7 table.  My versions of Win NT 4.0, BDE, Delphi,
and MSSQL are all up to date.  I've played with the field datatypes and
the record lengths and placed the same tables in other databases enough
to see that that is what the problem is.  

THIS IS A BUG.

Todd Grigsby
Panoramic Software, Inc.
PS. Please remove "no." and "spam." if replying by email.

Re:MS SQL 7, IDAPI, Access Violation


Re:MS SQL 7, IDAPI, Access Violation


One of my previous messages had
"Please Help - I'm going crazy with MSSQL7 !"
in the subject line dated 4.2.99
and another one was
"BDE Is Broken with MSSQL7; Now What? PLEASE HELP." on 4.3.99
Quote
Todd Grigsby wrote in message <3721D2E0.2EA63...@no.tgrigsby.spam.com>...
>Bill,

>First, thanks so much for responding!

>Second:

>> split up my tables, and set tables to StoreDefs.false.

>Thanks, I'll try the StoreDefs.  Splitting up the table really isn't an
>option, I'm afraid...

>> Search www.dejanews.com to see a lot of other reports of this
>> same problem.

>Dejanews didn't show anything on this, and I have an archive of about
>20000 messages from this group and I couldn't find it in there either.

Re:MS SQL 7, IDAPI, Access Violation


Dear Todd:

If your are going to use MS SQL7 with delphi your best solution is to axe
the bde and convert to ADO.  There a number of companies offering delphi ado
table and query components.  ADO uses an OLEDB provider to access SQL SERVER
natively.  Check out Kyle Cordes web site for more info.   www.
kylecordes.com  ADO is inherently 3 tier although it can be used in a 2 tier
environment.  (with no royalty).

Good Luck

Mark Mueller

Quote
Todd Grigsby wrote in message <3720B818.BAC92...@no.tgrigsby.spam.com>...
>Is there a limit on the number of tables that can be opened in MS SQL
>7?  I'm fishing around for a fix to an access violation I can't seem to
>escape...

>Please reply to newsgroup.

>Todd

Other Threads