Is Interbase suitable for internet application?

I tried connected to IB Server with a 56k internet connection with IBConsole.
Even a simple SQL could take about 10 sec to return.  The same SQL running in
intranet takes under split of a second.  Is IBConsole written with IBSQL which
is the fastest IBX component?

SELECT Field1,Field2,Field3,Field4,Field5 from MyTable
WHERE FieldX > valueX

Field1 to Field5 are mixed of integer, double, string(max 80 char). The result
set is abount 1000 rows.
Also when click on Commit also take 3-5 second to complete.

Is this kind of speed normal with a 56k (actual connection is 50k) internet
connection?  Interbase seems very slow with 56k internet connection.

Re:Is Interbase suitable for internet application?

I doubt it has anything to do with Interbase. Most likely the slowdown is
caused by internet traffic. <g>

HarryG

"Analyst" <[email protected]> wrote in message

news:[email protected]
> I tried connected to IB Server with a 56k internet connection with
IBConsole.
> Even a simple SQL could take about 10 sec to return.  The same SQL running
in
> intranet takes under split of a second.  Is IBConsole written with IBSQL
which
> is the fastest IBX component?

> SELECT Field1,Field2,Field3,Field4,Field5 from MyTable
> WHERE FieldX > valueX

> Field1 to Field5 are mixed of integer, double, string(max 80 char). The
result
> set is abount 1000 rows.
> Also when click on Commit also take 3-5 second to complete.

> Is this kind of speed normal with a 56k (actual connection is 50k)
internet
> connection?  Interbase seems very slow with 56k internet connection.

Re:Is Interbase suitable for internet application?

Hi,

I'm pretty sure that there are others out there that are more qualified than
myself to answer this question, but in the meantime, have you considered
using stored procedures to minimise network traffic. There are some great
articles on the net describing the how-to's and the why's of stored
procedures:

http://www.ibphoenix.com/ibp_using_sps.html
http://www.ibphoenix.com/ibp_sps_delphi.html

The articles explain why a standard query can be slow across a wide area
network, and how you can use a stored procedure to improve overall
performance.

Regards,
Cord

x-----
Cord Schneider
Technical Director
Secure Electronic Commerce (PTY) LTD
tel: +27 (0) 11 237-1235
fax: +27 (0) 11 314-5020
email: [email protected] <mailto:[email protected]>

Analyst wrote:

> I tried connected to IB Server with a 56k internet connection with IBConsole.
> Even a simple SQL could take about 10 sec to return.  The same SQL running in
> intranet takes under split of a second.  Is IBConsole written with IBSQL which
> is the fastest IBX component?

The data grid is powered by a IBTable since it is simplest to setup a "live"
result set with.

WISQL window uses a IBDataset to drive the grid to your interactive SQL uses
that.

Most everywhere else it uses an IBSQL where possible, but you must remember
there is a lot of information that has to be retrieved to run an application
like IBConsole that just isn't done in a normal app.

--
Jeff Overcash (TeamB)   | Talk about failure
(Please do not email    | To fall is not to fail

Other Threads