dbase long field names on BDE 4.51 Update

BDE 4.51 claims that it support long field names (up to 31 characters) for
the new dbase format.  I tried to create a table but I can't seem to get
past the 10 character limit of dbase.  Am I missing anything on the install
to be able to do this?

Thanks,
George

Re:dbase long field names on BDE 4.51 Update

George Manlangit wrote:

> BDE 4.51 claims that it support long field names (up to 31 characters) for
> the new dbase format.  I tried to create a table but I can't seem to get
> past the 10 character limit of dbase.  Am I missing anything on the install
> to be able to do this?

> Thanks,
> George

Are you using DBD?  It doesn't support the new dbase7 stuff.  You'll
have to do it in code....

Re:dbase long field names on BDE 4.51 Update

George:

        The BDE 4.51 does support the new DBase file structure. However, the
Database desktop and Delphi do not have specific support for VDBase 7
files.

        I went through the entire frustrating process and can save you some
time.

        1) The only way to create/modify tables within Delphi is through
code/BDE API calls. This is a little tedious but you can find example
code at the Borland Website.

        A) My solution was to purchase Visual DBase and to use it merely as a
table creation/modification tool. This was well work the $ 200 to avoid
the aggrevation.

        2) Within the DBE you will need to set your DBase native driver level
to level 7.0 ( Done with the BDE Administrator ).

        3) Simply point an alias to your TTable and select the table from
within Delphi and things should work.

Hope this helps.

Neil Huhta

P.S. The Database Desktop/Delphi should have support for this new file
structure in Delphi version 4.

George Manlangit wrote:

> BDE 4.51 claims that it support long field names (up to 31 characters) for
> the new dbase format.

Other Threads