Delphi and B-trieve

Hello

Can anyone give me pointers on how to access data from a B-trieve
databse from Delphi?

Do I need a different engine to the BDE?

How different is it to using say, Paradox?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Graham

Re:Delphi and B-trieve

Hi !

The best way to acces Btrieve files from Delphi is to use TITAN from
reggatta systems (reggatta.com). You can get a trial version first to
try it out.

It's easy to use , like paradox, except it doesnt support QUERIES.

Bye, Lorger Boris

Re:Delphi and B-trieve

Hi

You can use something like TITAN. This replace the BDE.

You can talk ODBC, but test different drivers. We found intersolv to be the
best. Also be aware of the BDE when talking ODBC, rather switch to
ODBCExpress.

Also can call the Btrieve API functions directly from there DLL's. Not
recommended, to much coding.

Hannes

Graham Clemie <clemie.nib...@dial.pipex.com> wrote in article
<33B7318E....@dial.pipex.com>...

> Hello

> Can anyone give me pointers on how to access data from a B-trieve
> databse from Delphi?

> Do I need a different engine to the BDE?

> How different is it to using say, Paradox?

> Thanks in advance.

> Regards

> Graham

Re:Delphi and B-trieve

Graham Clemie (clemie.nib...@dial.pipex.com) wrote:

: Can anyone give me pointers on how to access data from a B-trieve
: databse from Delphi?

  I've been doing it through the Pervasive Software ODBC driver.

: How different is it to using say, Paradox?

  I think the ODBC driver is buggy, but mostly it works just in the same
way you'd use Paradox etc., - just create an appropriate BDE alias to use
the ODBC driver.

Regards,
 David Williams

Re:Delphi and B-trieve

From http://www.qbss.com/clients/btrieve.html

Btrieve
As the first navigational client/server database, Btrieve provides maximum
programming control by allowing you to navigate up, down, and sideways
through the database at a record level. As a result, you can fully apply
your knowledge of application design and database structures to deliver
unparalleled performance. And you can add SQL applications at any time.
With Btrieve, you can design relational structures and follow them with
precise directional controls to update retrieve, insert and delete
distributed data. So you'll have the control to chart the fastest path to
your data.

(a) Maximum Programming Control: Record-level data access provides maximum
programming control for optimising application and database performance
(b) High Performance Data Access: Automatic index balancing and advanced
data caching are self-tuning for optimal data access performance
(c) Full Scalability: Applications can scale from mobile systems to
peer-to-peer and to client/server operations without modifications
(d) Rich Transaction Processing: Concurrent and exclusive transactions
allow programmers to ensure database consistency and minimise data record
locking
(e) Sophisticated Data Recovery: Database logging and roll forward
capability provide the ability to recover from system errors such as disk
failures
(f) Maintenance-free Operation: Eliminates the need for on-going database
administration
(g) Dynamic File Expansion: The size of data files is dynamically increased
as required, eliminating the need to pre-allocate disk space
(h) MicroKernel Database Architecture: The MicroKernel Database Engine
handles core database functions

 Graham Clemie wrote in article <33B7318E....@dial.pipex.com>...

>Hello

>Can anyone give me pointers on how to access data from a B-trieve
>databse from Delphi?

>Do I need a different engine to the BDE?

>How different is it to using say, Paradox?

>Thanks in advance.

>Regards

>Graham

Re:Delphi and B-trieve

I would recommend Titan from www.reggatta.com .

This is a direct access to btrieve files replacing the BDE.

In article <5p82vd$...@seagoon.newcastle.edu.au>, mg...@u2.newcastle.edu.au

(David M. Williams) wrote:
>Graham Clemie (clemie.nib...@dial.pipex.com) wrote:

>: Can anyone give me pointers on how to access data from a B-trieve
>: databse from Delphi?

>  I've been doing it through the Pervasive Software ODBC driver.

>: How different is it to using say, Paradox?

>  I think the ODBC driver is buggy, but mostly it works just in the same
>way you'd use Paradox etc., - just create an appropriate BDE alias to use
>the ODBC driver.

>Regards,
> David Williams

Other Threads