Screen size

D3, Win 95.  I develop at 800 x 600 and it looks fine (15 inch
monitor).  I switch to 1024 x 768 (on the same computer) and it looks
fine.  Copy the .exe file to another computer, same D3 and Win 95 but
set at 1024 x 768 (17 inch monitor).  Fonts are changed (different fonts
on adjacent buttons), bottom of form is not visible, right side of form
is not visible.  Switch to 800 x 600, looks the same except bigger.

Does anybody know what causes this problem?

Is there an accepted practice for making a form appear "nice" when
running it on different computers?  I know that higher resolution
monitors will make a form look smaller, and that's OK.  However, the
entire form should still be visible and in the same proportions!

Re:Screen size

In article <35ACAD97.4...@boeing.com>, Alan MacArthur <spam-me-not---
alan.s.macart...@boeing.com> writes
>bottom of form is not visible, right side of form
>is not visible

This happens when you have LARGE FONTS selected in Windows
Select SMALL fonts and all will be OK

To have a stab at fixing it in code, change all your forms SCALED
property to FALSE
Always use True Type fonts

--
Paul Grenet

Re:Screen size

That worked, now it looks fine.  However, 2 questions arise:

1.  When I ship my program to a user, that user might have Large Fonts
selected as well.  How can I ensure that all users see a "nice" display?

2.  Selecting Small Fonts on my machine really challenges my eyes on
other applications!  And I don't want to admit that I might need glasses
(it would hint that I might be getting older --- which is true).

Paul Grenet wrote:
> This happens when you have LARGE FONTS selected in Windows
> Select SMALL fonts and all will be OK

Paul:
The most customers of mine use LARGE FONTS! Telling them to use SMALL
fonts does not look like a good solution to me!!
Pat

Re:Screen size

Perhaps the 17 inch monitor has selected the option large fonts rather
than small fonts for the screen display. This makes the form bigger,
can sometimes distort the form display and needs to be checked.

If you are using fonts not available on the other machine then you can
get funny effects when Windows uses alternative fonts.

Regards
John Collins

Alan MacArthur wrote in message <35ACAD97.4...@boeing.com>...
>D3, Win 95.  I develop at 800 x 600 and it looks fine (15 inch
>monitor).  I switch to 1024 x 768 (on the same computer) and it looks
>fine.  Copy the .exe file to another computer, same D3 and Win 95 but
>set at 1024 x 768 (17 inch monitor).  Fonts are changed (different
fonts
>on adjacent buttons), bottom of form is not visible, right side of
form
>is not visible.  Switch to 800 x 600, looks the same except bigger.

>Does anybody know what causes this problem?

>Is there an accepted practice for making a form appear "nice" when
>running it on different computers?  I know that higher resolution
>monitors will make a form look smaller, and that's OK.  However, the
>entire form should still be visible and in the same proportions!

Other Threads