.NET installation seems to break ADO

I installed the .NET version of Visual Studio on my workstation the other
evening, and as soon as I did, an app I've been working on for some time
quit working. I can't say for sure that it was the .NET that stopped it, but
the timing of events sure points the finger in that direction.

My app is a console app that takes an input text file and posts a lot of
data using INSERT statements in TADOCommand objects. These statements all
happen in a single transaction. I'm using Delphi6, with Win2K on both the
SQL server machine and my workstation, with the latest service patches all
around.

What happens is that my app starts and seems to run just fine, with no error
messages, exceptions, or anything like that. But when I look in the database
none of the new data is there. It's as though the transaction ended in a
rollback rather than a commit. But I've stepped through the code in the
de{*word*81}, and I'm definitely doing a commit after the data is inserted. The
real kicker is that this happens on only one of three SQL Server instances
I've tried. Unfortunately, the machine that doesn't work is our production
server.

As I said, this happened after I installed the .NET version of Visual
Studio, which of course installed MDAC 2.7 along with it. As this is a
console app, I'm creating the ADO components on the fly rather than using
the drop-in components. My hunch is that 2.7 changed the default property
configuration of the underlying ADO objects, and I need to set something
explicitly, rather than taking the default.

I know this is pretty vague, but it is all I have to go with right now. Does
it ring a bell with anyone?

--
-------------------------------------
George Merriman

Re:.NET installation seems to break ADO

I've been running VS .NET since it was released on MSDN.  I haven't had any
issues at all.  I also create most of the ADODatasets in code.

Using Delphi 6.02 Ent... tapping into SQL Server 7 and 2000.

"George Merriman" <g...@ssco.com> wrote in message news:3cfd360e_2@dnews...
> I installed the .NET version of Visual Studio on my workstation the other
> evening, and as soon as I did, an app I've been working on for some time
> quit working. I can't say for sure that it was the .NET that stopped it,
but
> the timing of events sure points the finger in that direction.

> My app is a console app that takes an input text file and posts a lot of
> data using INSERT statements in TADOCommand objects. These statements all
> happen in a single transaction. I'm using Delphi6, with Win2K on both the
> SQL server machine and my workstation, with the latest service patches all
> around.

> What happens is that my app starts and seems to run just fine, with no
error
> messages, exceptions, or anything like that. But when I look in the
database
> none of the new data is there. It's as though the transaction ended in a
> rollback rather than a commit. But I've stepped through the code in the
> de{*word*81}, and I'm definitely doing a commit after the data is inserted.
The
> real kicker is that this happens on only one of three SQL Server instances
> I've tried. Unfortunately, the machine that doesn't work is our production
> server.

> As I said, this happened after I installed the .NET version of Visual
> Studio, which of course installed MDAC 2.7 along with it. As this is a
> console app, I'm creating the ADO components on the fly rather than using
> the drop-in components. My hunch is that 2.7 changed the default property
> configuration of the underlying ADO objects, and I need to set something
> explicitly, rather than taking the default.

> I know this is pretty vague, but it is all I have to go with right now.
Does
> it ring a bell with anyone?

> --
> George Merriman