New to Delphi and cannot configure for access to SQL server

I am new to Delphi and to MS SQL.
I am running Delphi 4 Professional
I am connected to an NT server and an NT work Station.
I am running Delphi in Windows 95 and have access to all of the drives
on all of the NT computers.

There is a file at location I:\SQL60\DATA\
The data file name is VNetOnLineDump.dat
I believe it is a MS SQL data file. It's header starts with "MSSQL
SQL0013" and continues from there.

I have not been able to figure out how to configure the BDE and/or the
32bit ODBC.

I am sure it is simple, I just don't understand the terminology.

The Borland manuals and help files are no help to someone like me
because they assume we understand all of the terms.

I have purchased several books, most of which I consider good, but there
are two problems.

1) They are written for someone who has the Client/Server version or
2) They are written for Delphi 2 and the screens have changed and since
I don't understand the terminology, I cannot find where things have
moved.

I am currently using "mike" as a user name on the NT network and my
password for the network is "solution".

Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated, I feel very stupid
after fighting this problem for several weeks.

Re:New to Delphi and cannot configure for access to SQL server

Well, you confused me.  I not sure what your questions are...

To configure your NT 4.0 workstation to be able to use MS SQL Server...

Install the ODBC 32 bit SQL Server driver.  This is on the MS SQL Server CD.
I also suggest installing the MS SQL Server utilities from the CD. Just run
the install of SQL Server off the CD and choose only the utilities.

Once the above is done, use the client configuration utility to set the
default network (second tab) to what you are using.

The advanced tab (third tab) is where you setup the client configuration for
your server. For example, if my server name was Foobar and I am using TCP/IP
my entries would look like

    Server: Foobar
    DLL Name: TCP/IP Sockets
    Connection String : 999.999.999.999,1433

where the 9's are the server ip address and 1433 represents the listening
port on the server.

After the above is done, you should be able to configure an ODBC datasource
using the entry above to connect to the database.

I say you can pretty much not touch the BDE until you get your feet wet.
The BDE will pick up the ODBC datasource you setup.

Good luck!

Re:New to Delphi and cannot configure for access to SQL server

  I have about the same setup as I don't have client server, but I can
get there using odbc.  I suggest you:
1. Use the pubs database that was automatically installed and after
you get it working, advance to your own database.
2. Verify that ISQL works first.  -> ' Use pubs  Select * from
employee'   should bring back a  screen of data.
3. Use the BDE admin program to create the new ALIAS that Delphi will
use. If you have a SQL Server choice, then thats what you use.
Otherwise, reinstall.

On Sat, 15 Nov 1997 19:10:34 -0500, Mike McMillon

<mcmil...@randomc.com> wrote:
>I am new to Delphi and to MS SQL.
>I am running Delphi 4 Professional
>I am connected to an NT server and an NT work Station.
>I am running Delphi in Windows 95 and have access to all of the drives
>on all of the NT computers.

>There is a file at location I:\SQL60\DATA\
>The data file name is VNetOnLineDump.dat
>I believe it is a MS SQL data file. It's header starts with "MSSQL
>SQL0013" and continues from there.

>I have not been able to figure out how to configure the BDE and/or the
>32bit ODBC.

>I am sure it is simple, I just don't understand the terminology.

>The Borland manuals and help files are no help to someone like me
>because they assume we understand all of the terms.

>I have purchased several books, most of which I consider good, but there
>are two problems.

>1) They are written for someone who has the Client/Server version or
>2) They are written for Delphi 2 and the screens have changed and since
>I don't understand the terminology, I cannot find where things have
>moved.

>I am currently using "mike" as a user name on the NT network and my
>password for the network is "solution".

>Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated, I feel very stupid
>after fighting this problem for several weeks.

Other Threads