ShortCut in the MainMenu

Hi All

I have a TMainMenu in the MainForm.
I can't use & in the caption for activate because i reserved for the other
form's.

I try use ShortCut property in the TMenuItem but menu the is not activated.

Thank's for any suggestion.
Paulo

Re:ShortCut in the MainMenu

> I have a TMainMenu in the MainForm.
> I can't use & in the caption for activate because i reserved for the other
> form's.

Maybe you should reconsider using of shortcuts in your applications. For
example, Alt+F is ALWAYS means File menu and if you're going to use this
shortcut for other purposes, it will only confuse your users.

> I try use ShortCut property in the TMenuItem but menu the is not

activated.

Of course -- ShortCut property was designer to fire OnClik event, not to
open a submenu.
I think you can use one feature of Windows menus and AnimatedMenus/2000: if
your menu item named as, for example, Search, without using ampersands
(i.e., first letter S is not underlined), you still can use Alt+S and Alt, S
for choosing the Search menu.

Try it.

Sincerely, Andrew Cher,
AnimatedMenus.com, Inc.

 AnimatedMenus/2000 is the only
 Office 2000 and Windows 2000 compatible
 menu system for Delphi and C++Builder
 Visit us today on the World Wide Web at:
 http://www.animatedmenus.com/

Re:ShortCut in the MainMenu

Hi Andrew

Thank's for you idea, really works fine.

Paulo

>Maybe you should reconsider using of shortcuts in your applications. For
>example, Alt+F is ALWAYS means File menu and if you're going to use this
>shortcut for other purposes, it will only confuse your users.

>I think you can use one feature of Windows menus and AnimatedMenus/2000: if
>your menu item named as, for example, Search, without using ampersands
>(i.e., first letter S is not underlined), you still can use Alt+S and Alt,
>for choosing the Search menu.

Re:ShortCut in the MainMenu

Shortcuts are shortcuts to ACTIONS,  not menu items. Shortcuts are shown on
the menu items to show the user to what are they the shortcuts, but do never
activate associated menu items:
You have a "File" menu item that has somesubitems and assign a shortcut and
an event to it.
When you press its shortcut, VCL handles it in the way that event handler of
"file" menu item is triggered, but the menu item itself does not know
anything about it - it is not activated.

Hope this was not cryptic.

--
----------------------
Regards

Paulo C. L. Vicente wrote in message <7kvrg8$f...@forums.borland.com>...

>Hi All

>I have a TMainMenu in the MainForm.
>I can't use & in the caption for activate because i reserved for the other
>form's.

>I try use ShortCut property in the TMenuItem but menu the is not activated.

>Thank's for any suggestion.
>Paulo

Other Threads