TP for DOS-program not running on XP

Hi,

A program I wrote in TurboPascal 7 for DOS does not properly run on an
Windows XP-home-edtion machine.
The screen freezes, but the taskmanager says the program is active.
This happens now and then.
The program is nothing fancy. Mainly standard input/output.
I runs on a FAT-partition of the harddisk.

Peter

Re:TP for DOS-program not running on XP

In <539bd0de.0203190041.693c0...@posting.google.com>, peter...@hotmail.com (Peter) writes:

>Hi,

>A program I wrote in TurboPascal 7 for DOS does not properly run on an
>Windows XP-home-edtion machine.
>The screen freezes, but the taskmanager says the program is active.
>This happens now and then.
>The program is nothing fancy. Mainly standard input/output.
>I runs on a FAT-partition of the harddisk.

>Peter

Is the TP7 in full-screen or a window?
Has focus been changed between windows?

    Under OS/2 Warp 4, A full screen TP7 IDE can lose its connection to the
keyboard if focus is switched between windows, or a DOS program is started
while a full screen TP7 is running a program in the background.  Mouse still
works to close down via file menu, but this can be extremely frustrating!

    It is possible XP suffers a similar reaction when the 'BIOS' routines get
relocated by the Operating system.  (TP7 saves the IRQ vectors at startup
but the O/S later shifts the routines elsewhere.  Result is a 'pointer to nowhere'
error when TP7 requires the routine.)

j...@vcn.bc.ca wrote in message <news:a7942f$5uf$1@luna.vcn.bc.ca>...
> In <539bd0de.0203190041.693c0...@posting.google.com>, peter...@hotmail.com (Peter) writes:
> >Hi,
> >A turbopascal7 for dos-program on a
> >Windows XP-home-edition machine.
> >The screen freezes, but the taskmanager says the program is active.
> >This happens now and then.

> Is the TP7 in full-screen or a window?

It runs in full-screen mode.
Is it better to run it in a window?

I also use a routine to get input from the keyboard:
FUNCTION RDENKEFN : word;
{From t...@uwasa.fi}
VAR regs     : registers;
      keyboard : byte absolute $40:$96;
BEGIN
  rdenkefn := 0;
  IF ((keyboard SHR 4) AND 1) = 0 THEN exit;
  FillChar (regs, SizeOf(regs), 0);
  regs.ah := $10;
  Intr ($16, regs);
  rdenkefn := regs.ax;
END;  (* rdenkefn *)

And I use the {$I-} en {$I+} (the include file directive)

Could one of these two be a problem?

I also tried to run the program from a Windows 3.11-machine in a
little TCP/IP-network. On the 3.11-machine it works fine, but when I
start it from the XP-machine (shared drive) on the 3.11-machine the
program freezes again.

On 11 Apr 2002 13:16:47 -0700, Peter...@hotmail.com (Peter) wrote:

>> Is the TP7 in full-screen or a window?
>It runs in full-screen mode.
>Is it better to run it in a window?

When I run it (or any DOS program) in a window on XP, the keyboard
response is so bad that it is virtually unusable.  It works normally
at full screen.  I haven't been able to find any way to nake it work
correctly in an XP window.

Jan Philips <jud.mccra...@mindspring.com> wrote in message <news:8pubbu8rjg4pg9manf5i5naavmsqc2qo78@4ax.com>...
> On 11 Apr 2002 13:16:47 -0700, Peter...@hotmail.com (Peter) wrote:

> >> Is the TP7 in full-screen or a window?
> >It runs in full-screen mode.
> >Is it better to run it in a window?

> When I run it (or any DOS program) in a window on XP, the keyboard
> response is so bad that it is virtually unusable.  It works normally
> at full screen.  I haven't been able to find any way to nake it work
> correctly in an XP window.

I stripped the program from registers and interupts-functions.
Build in a hotkey wich can stop the program.
The program still freezes, but I can stop it via the hotkey-function.
Sometimes I get a screen full of colors.
Is the videocard the problem?
It is a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 200 (HP),
the pc is a hp paviljon 7925.

On 13 Apr 2002 15:21:43 -0700, peter...@hotmail.com (Peter) wrote:

>The program still freezes, but I can stop it via the hotkey-function.
>Sometimes I get a screen full of colors.
>Is the videocard the problem?
>It is a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 200 (HP),
>the pc is a hp paviljon 7925.

I don't know.  I've got a Pavilion 7935, but I don't have that type of
problem (different video, though).

Jan Philips <jud.mccra...@mindspring.com> wrote in message <news:7glhbu85sdkenoilo4k5rtfc78mu9dkge2@4ax.com>...
> On 13 Apr 2002 15:21:43 -0700, peter...@hotmail.com (Peter) wrote:

> >The program still freezes, but I can stop it via the hotkey-function.
> >Sometimes I get a screen full of colors.
> >Is the videocard the problem?
> >It is a NVIDIA GeForce2 MX 200 (HP),
> >the pc is a hp paviljon 7925.

> I don't know.  I've got a Pavilion 7935, but I don't have that type of
> problem (different video, though).

Hi Jan,

I replaced the video-card with an older one. No program-freezing so far.
Could you tell me what video-card you are using?

Thanks,

On 15 Apr 2002 13:31:52 -0700, peter...@hotmail.com (Peter) wrote:

>I replaced the video-card with an older one. No program-freezing so far.
>Could you tell me what video-card you are using?

The video is built-in on an HP 7935.  It shows up as Savage S3, I
think.

In article <98gnbu83rvc0d0dpdteeftfrr54sqie...@4ax.com>, Jan Philips wrote:
> On 15 Apr 2002 13:31:52 -0700, peter...@hotmail.com (Peter) wrote:

>>I replaced the video-card with an older one. No program-freezing so far.
>>Could you tell me what video-card you are using?

> The video is built-in on an HP 7935.  It shows up as Savage S3, I
> think.

There is a s3vbe (from Dietmar <something>) I had good experience with.

If you use VESA functionality, some S3 VESA implementations have clear-screen
function broken. Look for s3fix.

Re:TP for DOS-program not running on XP

> There is a s3vbe (from Dietmar <something>) I had good experience with.

                                 ^^^^^^^^^^^

... Meschede.

Robert Riebisch
--
BTTR Software
http://www.bttr-software.de/

Peter wrote:
> Jan Philips <jud.mccra...@mindspring.com> wrote in message <news:7glhbu85sdkenoilo4k5rtfc78mu9dkge2@4ax.com>...

>>On 13 Apr 2002 15:21:43 -0700, peter...@hotmail.com (Peter) wrote:

>>>The program still freezes, but I can stop it via the hotkey-function.

-- snip --

Do you still have the Runtime Error 200 ??

If yes, try to get rid of the CRT unit, there is a known bug with
processors faster than 200 MHz in the delay (); calibrating loop.

If you cant' do without the CRT unit, write your own.
If you need Borland's CRT unit, you will need to apply a patch.

Fred.

--
Remove OBVIOUS from e-mail before reply

Attached WORD documents are sent to /dev/null :-)

Re:TP for DOS-program not running on XP

JRS:  In article <3D18EA19.3030...@tiscalinet.be>, seen in news:borland.
public.turbopascal, Frederic Pasteleurs <OBVIOUSmaster...@tiscalinet.be>
posted at Wed, 26 Jun 2002 00:09:29 :-

>Peter wrote:
>> Jan Philips <jud.mccra...@mindspring.com> wrote in message news:<7glhbu85sdken
>oilo4k5rtfc78mu9dk...@4ax.com>...

>-- snip --

>Do you still have the Runtime Error 200 ??

>If yes, try to get rid of the CRT unit, there is a known bug with
>processors faster than 200 MHz in the delay (); calibrating loop.

>If you cant' do without the CRT unit, write your own.
>If you need Borland's CRT unit, you will need to apply a patch.

That is low-grade advice; you could do better than that if you were to
read the c.l.p.b mFAQ.  One should always look for and read the
newsgroup FAQs before asking or posting; it can help to avoid apparent
stupidity.

In particular : there is at least one known-good replacement Crt unit
already written and available ; the many patches for the Borland unit
are of differing merits, and some should be avoided.

See also <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/pas-r200.htm>.

  <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/clpb-faq.txt> Pedt Scragg: c.l.p.b. mFAQ;