Delphi 5 Enterprise and AS400 DB2

I am writing a medical Laboratory Information System for the hospital I work
at.  I could use PCs for the entire thing BUT the hospital has an AS400 for
medical billing, etc..  I think there might be a speed advantage if I set up
the database using DB2 on the AS400 and access it from the Delphi 5
Enterprise apps on the PCs.

However, I do not have access to the AS400 at the present and have never
worked with one before.

What do I need to do on the AS400 end to allow my apps to use a DB2 database
hosted there (besides get access)?

Any special hardware requirements for the PCs (i.e. special network cards)?
Currently all access to the AS400 is by dumb terminal (block devices?).

Once the DB structure is set up on the AS400 then, on the PCs, can I set up
a BDE alias to point to the DB on the AS400?

Will the standard Tquery/TupdateQuery philosophy work as is?

What else do I need to be aware of?  There was a pretty good article in
Delphi Informant but it skipped all the elementary stuff I need to know
about.

Alan

Re:Delphi 5 Enterprise and AS400 DB2

Well,

I am currently on a project using AS400 DB2 with Delphi 5.

We connect to the AS400 with TCP/IP, using the Operation Navigator software
provided free by IBM.

You must access DB2 with an ODBC driver. We use Client Access, also provided
free by IBM.

I must warn you that AS/400 are really expensive computers, but are not good
at hosting a DB server. The SQL queries are not running really quickly and
there is also some problems when using advanced techniques like insert ...
select or blocked insert. Stored procedures must be written in a SQL-like
language, but more advanced flow control must be written in C. The main
problem with the C stored procedures is that on our server, each call takes
3 seconds to instantiate a process. The stored procedures don't stay in
memory, being treated as a regular program that exits and releases
ressources when exiting. Java is still not supported, even when IBM is
publishing a report titled "AS/400 and Java - Perfect together". What a
pity...

I think that if you can choose the server platform, you can make a better
choice than the AS/400, good for mainframe RPG, but not for Client/server
application.

Stephane Ducrest - USWEB/CKS Switzerland

Alan Aipperspach <rsp...@{*word*104}trails.com(no_spam)> a crit dans le message :
82561c$1...@forums.borland.com...

> I am writing a medical Laboratory Information System for the hospital I
work
> at.  I could use PCs for the entire thing BUT the hospital has an AS400
for
> medical billing, etc..  I think there might be a speed advantage if I set
up
> the database using DB2 on the AS400 and access it from the Delphi 5
> Enterprise apps on the PCs.

> However, I do not have access to the AS400 at the present and have never
> worked with one before.

> What do I need to do on the AS400 end to allow my apps to use a DB2
database
> hosted there (besides get access)?

> Any special hardware requirements for the PCs (i.e. special network
cards)?
> Currently all access to the AS400 is by dumb terminal (block devices?).

> Once the DB structure is set up on the AS400 then, on the PCs, can I set
up
> a BDE alias to point to the DB on the AS400?

> Will the standard Tquery/TupdateQuery philosophy work as is?

> What else do I need to be aware of?  There was a pretty good article in
> Delphi Informant but it skipped all the elementary stuff I need to know
> about.

> Alan

Re:Delphi 5 Enterprise and AS400 DB2

I read some where that if you want connect your BDE application to DB2 on
AS/400 you need a specific (don't remember witch) gateway running on NT
server. This means you need build a LAN (in the topology of your choice)
with NT server connected to the AS/400 (of course with special card).

Re:Delphi 5 Enterprise and AS400 DB2

Hi:

I supposed that you have to use the AS400, they are really good machines
but prety complex.

You can  connect either thru native drivers(delphi for as400, a OCX that
comes client access) or odbc(i use my own odbc class or try
ObdcExpress). i have written many c/s apps for as400 without any
problems and good performance. IBM has been improving AS400 for c/s
apps, they have machines especially for c/s.

The SQL language to write stored procedures is really a sql to c
translator, that IBM should improve a lot, but you can write stored
procedures using any language (C, COBOL, RPG, etc) and CL.

Also you can write server application(Endless daemon), using a AS400
structure called data queue, combined with CL procedures you can
achieves great performance and you can reuse legacy code.

best regards,

peter otoya

Alan Aipperspach wrote:

> I am writing a medical Laboratory Information System for the hospital I work
> at.  I could use PCs for the entire thing BUT the hospital has an AS400 for
> medical billing, etc..  I think there might be a speed advantage if I set up
> the database using DB2 on the AS400 and access it from the Delphi 5
> Enterprise apps on the PCs.

> However, I do not have access to the AS400 at the present and have never
> worked with one before.

> What do I need to do on the AS400 end to allow my apps to use a DB2 database
> hosted there (besides get access)?

> Any special hardware requirements for the PCs (i.e. special network cards)?
> Currently all access to the AS400 is by dumb terminal (block devices?).

> Once the DB structure is set up on the AS400 then, on the PCs, can I set up
> a BDE alias to point to the DB on the AS400?

> Will the standard Tquery/TupdateQuery philosophy work as is?

> What else do I need to be aware of?  There was a pretty good article in
> Delphi Informant but it skipped all the elementary stuff I need to know
> about.

> Alan

  potoya.vcf
< 1K Download