Word keeping lock on closed documents

When I open, change, then close a Word document from a Delphi app I am
finding that Word keeps some sort of link to the document and will not let
me delete the document file until I re-open it (to revert changes I suspect)
and close it again. However, performing the same actions from within Word
itself does release all hold on the document. I suspect I'm either not
opening or closing the document properly.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get Delphi/Word to release it's hold on
a closed document.

Here are my open and close methods:

function TDocJob.openWordDoc: boolean;
var
  ovFileName : OleVariant;
  ovReadOnly: OleVariant;
  ComDoc: _Document;
begin
  ovFileName := FJobDocFSpec;
  ovReadOnly := True;
  ComDoc := FWordApp.Documents.Open(ovFileName, EmptyParam,
            ovReadOnly, EmptyParam, EmptyParam,EmptyParam,
            EmptyParam, EmptyParam, EmptyParam, EmptyParam,
            EmptyParam, EmptyParam);
  FWordDoc := TWordDocument.Create(Nil);
  FWordDoc.ConnectTo( ComDoc );
  Result := True;
end;

procedure TDocJob.closeWordDoc;
var
  ovSaveChanges: OleVariant;
  ovTrue: OleVariant;
begin
  if Assigned(FWordDoc) then
  begin
    ovSaveChanges := False;
    ovTrue := True;
    FWordDoc.Close( ovSaveChanges );
    FWordDoc.Disconnect;
    FWordDoc := nil;

    // to be able to detele closed document
    _openClose(FJobDocFSpec);  // just opens/closes as here

Thanks,
--Robert Gesswein