How can I delete a record in a dbase table ?

To anyone:

The "Table.Delete" statement deletes the current record in a Table.
But the record is not really deleted, until I pack the table using the
Desktop Database.
 Does anybody know how I can really delete a record in Delphi ?

Thanks a lot, Daan

Re:How can I delete a record in a dbase table ?

In article <01bc5ede$f37038e0$a42d6...@kootwijk.xs4all.nl> "Evert van Kootwijk" <kootw...@xs4all.nl> writes:

>The "Table.Delete" statement deletes the current record in a Table.
>But the record is not really deleted, until I pack the table using the
>Desktop Database.
> Does anybody know how I can really delete a record in Delphi ?
>Thanks a lot, Daan

That is the way that dBase-style databases are designed to work, Evert.  It
has always been the case that the record is not "really deleted" until you
pack the table.

Re:How can I delete a record in a dbase table ?

In article <no-reply.5283.01146...@sundialservices.com>, Sundial
Services <no-re...@sundialservices.com> writes

>In article <01bc5ede$f37038e0$a42d6...@kootwijk.xs4all.nl> "Evert van Kootwijk"
><kootw...@xs4all.nl> writes:

>>The "Table.Delete" statement deletes the current record in a Table.
>>But the record is not really deleted, until I pack the table using the
>>Desktop Database.
>> Does anybody know how I can really delete a record in Delphi ?

>>Thanks a lot, Daan

>That is the way that dBase-style databases are designed to work, Evert.  It
>has always been the case that the record is not "really deleted" until you
>pack the table.

Not knowing Delphi with dbase, I am not sure of the syntax, but Dbase,
Clipper, Foxpro, etc. had a command SET DELETED ON/OFF which defined
whether or not these records marked for deletion were 'visible' to the
program.

There was also the advantage that if a record was deleted, it could be
restored (undeleted) - which was handy when you had users who were too
quick with the delete button.

--
Pete Clark
ElmSoft Ltd

Re:How can I delete a record in a dbase table ?

|>In article <no-reply.5283.01146...@sundialservices.com>, Sundial
|>Services <no-re...@sundialservices.com> writes
|>>In article <01bc5ede$f37038e0$a42d6...@kootwijk.xs4all.nl> "Evert van
|> Kootwijk"

|>>That is the way that dBase-style databases are designed to work, Evert.  It
|>>has always been the case that the record is not "really deleted" until you
|>>pack the table.
|>
|>Not knowing Delphi with dbase, I am not sure of the syntax, but Dbase,
|>Clipper, Foxpro, etc. had a command SET DELETED ON/OFF which defined
|>whether or not these records marked for deletion were 'visible' to the
|>program.
|>
|>There was also the advantage that if a record was deleted, it could be
|>restored (undeleted) - which was handy when you had users who were too
|>quick with the delete button.

look at dbipacktable function in the bde help.

Other Threads