New to Delphi - Database questions

>1. Is this the appropriate newsgroup for my newbie questions or should I go
>elsewhere?

This newsgroup is fine but you'll be able to find answers to most of
your questions via the Borland public newsgroups (forums.borland.com)
and quick searched through www.deja.com .

>2. I chose Paradox because it seems to be Delphi's native format. Is it a
>wise choice or should I
>    a) stick with the .dbf tables the Clipper app already uses?

Make sure you read up on the requirements to make multi-user Paradox
systems work.  Go here to start:
http://www.inprise.com/devsupport/bde/ti_list/TI2989.html

>    b) try to find my way around the InterBase that came with my Delphi
>program?

Interbase is for Client/Server development.  If you want to get into
Client/Server then Interbase is a great way to start.  You won't be
able to deploy the server without more money outlayed though.

>3. This morning I went back into my developing POS project but got the BDE
>error message "Index out of date"
>    and couldn't open the table. Is there a Pascal equivalent to REINDEX
>(if so, I couldn't find it). What do I do?

Search for this via www.deja.com and you'll find your answers...
deja.com is the best resource available for newbies.

>4.  BTW, is there any joy in bypassing the BDE and if so, how do you do it?

Delphi 5 introduced ADO support (comes with Enterprise version,
available as upsell for Delphi 5 Pro for $199), which also allows you
to bypass the BDE to use ODBC sources.

Good luck,
Peter

Re:New to Delphi - Database questions

Hi People,

I have decided to rewrite my Clipper / dBase-based POS application in Delphi
/ Pascal. I am playing around with a basic interface and one Paradox table
to start with and I have a few questions:

1. Is this the appropriate newsgroup for my newbie questions or should I go
elsewhere?

2. I chose Paradox because it seems to be Delphi's native format. Is it a
wise choice or should I
    a) stick with the .dbf tables the Clipper app already uses?
    b) try to find my way around the InterBase that came with my Delphi
program?
    c) something else I haven't thought of but which won't mean outlaying
any more money?

3. This morning I went back into my developing POS project but got the BDE
error message "Index out of date"
    and couldn't open the table. Is there a Pascal equivalent to REINDEX
(if so, I couldn't find it). What do I do?

4.  BTW, is there any joy in bypassing the BDE and if so, how do you do it?

Thanks in advance

Sincerely

Peter Lawrance
POSability Software
Email: p...@seol.net.au
PO Box 3353 Mount Gambier SA 5290
Australia

Bite off more than you can chew - then chew like hell!

Peter Gens wrote in message ...
>>1. Is this the appropriate newsgroup for my newbie questions or should I
go
>>elsewhere?

>This newsgroup is fine but you'll be able to find answers to most of
>your questions via the Borland public newsgroups (forums.borland.com)
>and quick searched through www.deja.com .

I tried this.

This is the first time I have used deja.com and frankly I don't see how it
is possible to do a *quick search* in a site like that. It seems to be a
great way to use up a lot of internet time. I think I'll stick with
newsgroups.

If anyone on this ng can answer my question about REINDEXing or whatever
passes for it in Delphi, I would be really grateful to hear from you.
Otherwise, I'll progress on down the newsgroup list...

Thanx

Sincerely

Peter Lawrance
POSability Software
Email: p...@seol.net.au
PO Box 3353 Mount Gambier SA 5290
Australia

Bite off more than you can chew - then chew like hell!

Re:New to Delphi - Database questions

Peter,
I suggest to make it with Apollo. You can continue to use your dbf-files and
indexes and don't need the BDE..
Apollo 5 works really great and very fast. The support is EXCELLENT! Apollo
is exactly what I was missing in
pure Delphi! Get informations at www.vistasoftware.com!
regards,
Mario

--
scarperi@_NOSPAM_t-online.de
remove _NOSPAM_ when mailing

Peter Lawrance (p...@seol.net.au) wrote:

: 1. Is this the appropriate newsgroup for my newbie questions or should I go
: elsewhere?

Posting here is fine, but, if your news server carries it, you may want
to check out comp.lang.pascal.delphi.databases
As far as searching through archived messages from the various newsgroups,
check out http://developers.href.com/

: 2. I chose Paradox because it seems to be Delphi's native format. Is it a
: wise choice or should I
:     a) stick with the .dbf tables the Clipper app already uses?

I use Paradox tables a lot, but dBASE tables a fair amount too.
You may want to stick with what you know well when it does the
job for you, but you may want to check into dBASE .mdx indexes.
If you want to work more with Paradox tables, read Dan Ehrmann's
excellent series of six articles on using Paradox tables in Delphi
at http://www.kallista.com/  under "White Papers."

: 3. This morning I went back into my developing POS project but got the BDE
: error message "Index out of date"
:     and couldn't open the table. Is there a Pascal equivalent to REINDEX
: (if so, I couldn't find it). What do I do?

If you don't see anything you can use among the tTable methods (I can't
recall if there is one, and you didn't tell us what version of Delphi
you're running), you can always make API calls to the BDE.  Documentation
and examples can be found at http://www.borland.com/devsupport/bde/
--
Rick Carter
carte...@email.uc.edu

Re:New to Delphi - Database questions

Hi!

Just a quick way to fix a bust paradox index:
1. Delete the *.px file (bust index)
2. Then use a table and do:
  with tblFix do begin
    Active := False;
    DatabaseName := FileDir; //your stuff here
    TableName := DBFileName; //your stuff here
    Exclusive := True;
    Active := True;
    Screen.Cursor := crHourGlass;
    try
      AddIndex('',Fields[0].FieldName,[ixPrimary, ixUnique]);
    finally
      Screen.Cursor := crDefault;
    end;
    Active := False;
  end;

All other questions, see previous answers, I agree with them.

Doswidanja,
hannes
--
http://www.talknet.de/~hannes.breuer/index.html