With BDE 5.0 TStringField.AsString returns '??????????????????????????????'

Recently we installed D4 with its new BDE 5.0.

Our existing D3 program seems to have some trouble with the new BDE
(previously 4.51).

We query a Paradox level 5 table and read character fields in the result
with the AsString property. Starting from BDE 5.0 TStringField.AsString
SOMETIMES returns '??????????????????????????????' (30 times character
255). This happens under Win95 and Win98 only, NOT under WinNT 4. We did
not yet find a way to reproduce the problem. Database desktop has no
problems at all with a query, the fields contents look perfectly normal,
and also a DBGrid displaying the query's result works fine. But when our
program uses an AsString, it goes wrong for some records (always the
same ones), but all worked fine with BDE 4.51.

Is this a possible bug in the BDE 5.0 or in our program?

Regards,

Tim Serneels
TechWIN Software BVBA
Belgium

Re:With BDE 5.0 TStringField.AsString returns '??????????????????????????????'

CORRECTION of our first post:

It has something to do with the language driver 'Pdox ANSI Intl', because
all our Win95 and Win98 where configured for Pdox ANSI Intl, but the NT 4
System was configured for 'ASCII ANSI'.

Everything is at 'Pdox ANSI Intl' now: the table language on which the query
was run, and the Paradox Table Create parameter. All stations suffer the
problem now. However, it is still impossible to reproduce the problem with a
simple test program which reads all AsStrings properties from the query's
fields.

Is there an error in the 'Pdox ANSI Intl' language-driver or should we
permenantly configure it otherwise?

Tim Serneels
TechWIN Software BVBA
Belgium

TechWIN wrote:
> Recently we installed D4 with its new BDE 5.0.

> Our existing D3 program seems to have some trouble with the new BDE
> (previously 4.51).

> We query a Paradox level 5 table and read character fields in the result
> with the AsString property. Starting from BDE 5.0 TStringField.AsString
> SOMETIMES returns '??????????????????????????????' (30 times character
> 255). This happens under Win95 and Win98 only, NOT under WinNT 4. We did
> not yet find a way to reproduce the problem. Database desktop has no
> problems at all with a query, the fields contents look perfectly normal,
> and also a DBGrid displaying the query's result works fine. But when our
> program uses an AsString, it goes wrong for some records (always the
> same ones), but all worked fine with BDE 4.51.

> Is this a possible bug in the BDE 5.0 or in our program?

> Regards,

> Tim Serneels
> TechWIN Software BVBA
> Belgium

Re:With BDE 5.0 TStringField.AsString returns '??????????????????????????????'

This cleared out to be a BDE bug. See next post.
TechWIN wrote:
> Recently we installed D4 with its new BDE 5.0.

> Our existing D3 program seems to have some trouble with the new BDE
> (previously 4.51).

> We query a Paradox level 5 table and read character fields in the result
> with the AsString property. Starting from BDE 5.0 TStringField.AsString
> SOMETIMES returns '??????????????????????????????' (30 times character
> 255). This happens under Win95 and Win98 only, NOT under WinNT 4. We did
> not yet find a way to reproduce the problem. Database desktop has no
> problems at all with a query, the fields contents look perfectly normal,
> and also a DBGrid displaying the query's result works fine. But when our
> program uses an AsString, it goes wrong for some records (always the
> same ones), but all worked fine with BDE 4.51.

> Is this a possible bug in the BDE 5.0 or in our program?

> Regards,

> Tim Serneels
> TechWIN Software BVBA
> Belgium