Resizing form for Large Fonts

Hi,
to handle the Large Fonts issue i am looking into either GTSizer
($130.00)
or Elastiform ($35)

The GTSizer doesnt have a trial version for BCB5...
The elastiform does..and seems to work fairly well for different
resolutions and
different font sizes...
But I was hoping to try gtsizer first b4 buying either one...

Has anyone compared both and feels that the GTSizer is worth the
additional $100 ?

Any help about either is appreciated.

Thanks
Ray

Re:Resizing form for Large Fonts

> Has anyone compared both and feels that the GTSizer is worth the
> additional $100 ?

I've used GTSizer, and I wasn't all that impressed. It seemed to offer up
just as many problems as solutions. I haven't used the other one, but I
just don't think it all can work that well.

This is Harold Howe's take on the matter:

In general, try to stay in one of these camps

Camp A, the better camp:

Design your program with small fonts
Set Scaled to true for the form
Set AutoScroll to false
Set BorderStyle to bsDialog or bsSingle

I'm not sure if the font thing that ZDTips talked about is necessary, but it
won't hurt. Using custom fonts will only get you into trouble anyway when
you run the program on a machine that doesn't have that font.

With this strategy, the BorderStyle is critical. When Scaled is true,
controls expand by a ratio of 120/96 when run on a large font machine. When
BorderStyle is bsDialog or bsSingle, the size of the form also grows.
However, if you use bsSizable, the form does not grow. When this happens,
the resized controls fall of the edge of the form. This is why the form
displays the ugly scroll bars. If you must use bsSizable, adjust the Height
and Width of the form if you detect Large fonts, see my FAQ at

http://www.bcbdev.com/faqs/faq25.htm

Note, if you run into trouble with labels, follow these suggestions. If
single line labels get chopped off, try setting AutoSize to false for the
label. Then widen the label by a factor of 120/96 or more. This gives the
text room to grow. For multi line lables, set autosize to false, keep
WordWrap to true, and expand the Height of the label so it has a spare line
or two. This allows the text to grow and fill up the rest of the label. At
small fonts, these labels will seem farther apart than they do to a user
running a large fonts.

Also note, designing at small fonts means that you have to deal with
problems of forms that expand when run on a large font machine. The problems
that are caused by expanding forms are probably easier to deal with than
forms that shrink, which is what happens when you design at large fonts and
run at small fonts.

Camp B

Design using small fonts
Always set Scaled to false
Set AutoScale to false

This essentially turns off all scaling and leaves it up to you. It also
tends to cause as many problems as it solves.

Camp C

Tell users of Large fonts to take a hike. This isn't always practical, but
where I work, it is :) Because Visual C++ and MFC are no better at dealing
with fonts (in fact they're worse), our IT department has specified that our
programs (both MFC and BCB programs) will function correctly at 800x600, 16
bit high color, small fonts. If your not running that, don't complain (I
didn't make these rules by the way, but I don't seek its abolishment
either). If your software ends up on a shelf at compusa, this strategy might
not be wise.

Harold Howe (TeamB)
http://www.bcbdev.com

--
Jonathan Arnold         C/C++/CBuilder Keen Advice:
http://www.keen.com/categories/categorylist_expand.asp?sid=5156620

Re:Resizing form for Large Fonts

>Also note, designing at small fonts means that you have to deal with
>problems of forms that expand when run on a large font machine. The problems
>that are caused by expanding forms are probably easier to deal with than
>forms that shrink, which is what happens when you design at large fonts and
>run at small fonts.

Without saying that the presence of bitmapped images can{*word*222}
everything up in both cases, unless you provide different bitmaps for
every screen resolution.
I have yet to hear a convincing reason for not setting Scaled=false in
the forms. Doing it makes the whole discussion moot.

Greetings,
Julio

Re:Resizing form for Large Fonts

Wouldn't it be a solution for sizeable windows to use the Align and Anchors
properties? Then controls would remain at their relative positions, and
forms similar to the Java GUI's that dynamically resize controls are
possible...

Just my two cent's worth...
__
/homas

Jonathan Arnold <jdarn...@buddydog.org> wrote in
<3C1C13B3.1010...@buddydog.org>:

>With this strategy, the BorderStyle is critical. When Scaled is true,
>controls expand by a ratio of 120/96 when run on a large font machine.
>When BorderStyle is bsDialog or bsSingle, the size of the form also
>grows. However, if you use bsSizable, the form does not grow. When this
>happens, the resized controls fall of the edge of the form. This is why
>the form displays the ugly scroll bars. If you must use bsSizable,
>adjust the Height and Width of the form if you detect Large fonts, see
>my FAQ at

>http://www.bcbdev.com/faqs/faq25.htm

Re:Resizing form for Large Fonts

> Wouldn't it be a solution for sizeable windows to use the Align and Anchors
> properties? Then controls would remain at their relative positions, and

This works for many cases, but it doesn't help for the Large/Small font
issue, as you have to actually resize many things, rather than just reposition
them. Buttons, labels, etc, all get messed up when you start using large
fonts.

--
Jonathan Arnold         C/C++/CBuilder Keen Advice:
http://www.keen.com/categories/categorylist_expand.asp?sid=5156620
    Comprehensive C++Builder link site:
http://www.buddydog.org/C++Builder/c++builder.html

Re:Resizing form for Large Fonts

> This works for many cases, but it doesn't help for the Large/Small font
> issue, as you have to actually resize many things, rather than just reposition
> them. Buttons, labels, etc, all get messed up when you start using large
> fonts.

Plus I already have 14 applications with over 30 seperate forms created and its
not worth the labor time to
redo each one setting anchorpoints etc
when a component or two has been developed to do this easily...

I just wanted to know if anyone has used either of or both of these products and
what there opinions were.
before i spend the cash...

it would take me  3 days to redo and debug etc all the forms....and
3 days labor costs alot more than the components already developed

Thanks
Ray

Re:Resizing form for Large Fonts

> it would take me  3 days to redo and debug etc all the forms....and
> 3 days labor costs alot more than the components already developed

All I can say is that I'm not sure that GTSizer will solve your problems.
You have to do plenty of work to get it to do what you want, and even then
we couldn't get it to play nice all the time. For me, it tried to do too
much. When you resized the form, it resized all the components, and sometimes
it works and sometimes it doesn't.

--
Jonathan Arnold         C/C++/CBuilder Keen Advice:
http://www.keen.com/categories/categorylist_expand.asp?sid=5156620
    Comprehensive C++Builder link site:
http://www.buddydog.org/C++Builder/c++builder.html

Other Threads