InstallShield Express

2004-02-10 04:05:08 PM
cppbuilder25
Is it possible to uninstall a program installed with InstallShield Express
which is distributed with CBuilder?
There is an option "Automatic Uninstaller" in Setup CheckList->Set the
Visual Design->Features in InstallShield
Express but I think this doesn't work.
Do I have to get InstallShield instead of InstallShield Express?
Thanks...

Re:InstallShield Express

Hi all,
I am not sure if this is the right forum for the subject, but I didn't find
another more suitable.
I have created an installation project in InstallShield Express 3.03 Borland
Limited Edition.
The problem is that when I install the above project I can't see greek
characters on the desktop shortcuts,
even though in the shortcut definition while creating the project the greek
characters are shown correctly.
Thanks in advance
Manos

Re:InstallShield Express

Manos Aggelakis wrote:
I am not sure if this is the right forum for the subject, but I
didn't find another more suitable.
I have created an installation project in InstallShield Express 3.03
Borland Limited Edition.
The problem is that when I install the above project I can't see
greek characters on the desktop shortcuts,
even though in the shortcut definition while creating the project the
greek characters are shown correctly.
ISX is delivered to us from InstallShield. You may have better luck
getting a relevant response if you ask about this issue over at the
InstallShield support forums.
--
Leo Saguisag
Delphi l10n engineer

{smallsort}

Re:InstallShield Express

I am using Installshield Express that came along with Delphi 7 to build an
installer.
I got a problem is after an initial installation, I cannot run the installer
again on the same target machine unless I uninstall the application first.
The installer detected there was a previous version of my application.
How do I make the installer to install on the top of my previous version ?

Re:InstallShield Express

Man Utd wrote:
I am using Installshield Express that came along with Delphi 7 to
build an installer.
I got a problem is after an initial installation, I cannot run the
installer again on the same target machine unless I uninstall the
application first. The installer detected there was a previous version
of my application. How do I make the installer to install on the top
of my previous version ?
Dump InstallShield. Get a real installer, like InnoSetup. (it's free and
written in Delphi, btw)
www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php
--
Ben

Re:InstallShield Express

Man Utd wrote:
I am using Installshield Express that came along with Delphi 7 to build an
installer.
I got a problem is after an initial installation, I cannot run the installer
again on the same target machine unless I uninstall the application first.
The installer detected there was a previous version of my application.
How do I make the installer to install on the top of my previous version ?
InstallShield works fine if you read the Help:
The Upgrade Code needs to be kept constant (I guess the installation
engine looks to match this when upgrading). Generate once for a given
app, and don't change it.
The Product Code should be unique for each release.
If you don't follow these rules, the installer will force an uninstall
and reinstall.
This does seem like a question for the folks who make InstallShield,
though, so you might want to take follow-up questions to them.
-- Stuart

Re:InstallShield Express

an answer like this may *seem* unhelpful, but i echo it! you will be up and
running within a day.
make sure you get the ISTool too (www.istool.org/default.aspx/), and
find the usergroups on news.jrsoftware.org.
colin.
--
i am in no way associated with any products i recommend, other than being a
satisfied user.

Colin Hughes wrote:
an answer like this may *seem* unhelpful
I know. :)
OTOH, messing around with InstallShield is just a waste of time. ;-)
--
Ben

Re:InstallShield Express

I also have this same issue.
After my initial installation, I have modified the Product Code and Upgrade
Code for testing.
How do I find out the Upgrade Code in the initial installation ?
In addition, just want to make sure: there is a database file also
installed, how do I keep that database file not overwritten by the database
file comes with the installer ? (I think I should not include the database
file in the following installer but just include that)
?

InstallShield works fine if you read the Help:

The Upgrade Code needs to be kept constant (I guess the installation
engine looks to match this when upgrading). Generate once for a given
app, and don't change it.

The Product Code should be unique for each release.

If you don't follow these rules, the installer will force an uninstall
and reinstall.

This does seem like a question for the folks who make InstallShield,
though, so you might want to take follow-up questions to them.

-- Stuart

Re:InstallShield Express

Yes, I have tried to change the Product Code. Now I can install the new one
on the top of the previous one.
BUT, I found a problem was if I goto control panel|Add or remove program
I found there are more than 1 entry of my application.
Man Utd wrote:
>I am using Installshield Express that came along with Delphi 7 to build
an
>installer.
>I got a problem is after an initial installation, I cannot run the
installer
>again on the same target machine unless I uninstall the application
first.
>The installer detected there was a previous version of my application.
>How do I make the installer to install on the top of my previous version
?

InstallShield works fine if you read the Help:

The Upgrade Code needs to be kept constant (I guess the installation
engine looks to match this when upgrading). Generate once for a given
app, and don't change it.

The Product Code should be unique for each release.

If you don't follow these rules, the installer will force an uninstall
and reinstall.

This does seem like a question for the folks who make InstallShield,
though, so you might want to take follow-up questions to them.

-- Stuart

Re:InstallShield Express

Hello,
I use InstallShield Express 2 that was included with Delphi 4. This program
is simple and can install the BDE. I discovered a time ago that this program
is a win16 program. I did not expected this.
I now have Delphi 2005 with InstallShield Express 4.0. I converted the
InstallShield 2.0 installation file to 4.0, but this version cannot install
the BDE properly. As far as I can see, the BDE files are installed, but
registry entries are not added.
In the help of Express 4.0 BDE support is mentioned, but the
Redistributables view is not available.
How can I distribute the BDE with InstallShield Express 4.0 ?
Thanks,
Hubert Anemaat

Re:InstallShield Express

Hello,
I found SETUPInstallShieldBDE.exe on the website of InstallShield, but this
program does not detect a valid version of Delphi.
I have a registered Delphi 6 and Delphi 2005 on that PC.
Does someone know how to solve this problem.
Thanks,
Hubert Anemaat
"Hubert Anemaat" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >schreef in bericht
Hello,

I use InstallShield Express 2 that was included with Delphi 4. This
program is simple and can install the BDE. I discovered a time ago that
this program is a win16 program. I did not expected this.
I now have Delphi 2005 with InstallShield Express 4.0. I converted the
InstallShield 2.0 installation file to 4.0, but this version cannot
install the BDE properly. As far as I can see, the BDE files are
installed, but registry entries are not added.

In the help of Express 4.0 BDE support is mentioned, but the
Redistributables view is not available.

How can I distribute the BDE with InstallShield Express 4.0 ?

Thanks,

Hubert Anemaat

Re:InstallShield Express

Use InnoSetup:
www.jrsoftware.org/isinfo.php
InstallShield Express is ... (nothing good to say here)
Here are some links for BDE Install:
www.jrsoftware.org/iskb.php?bde
Also, search for Inno and BDE here:
www.fulltextsearch.com/search.htm
Regards,
Scott.
"Hubert Anemaat" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message news:444f305e$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
[...]

Ditto to the previous poster that recommended Inno setup. Dont even waste
your time ISX. I went through the same 16-bit issue you did. I switched to
Inno (took only a few hours) and never, ever, ever looked back. not once.

Re:InstallShield Express

"GrandmasterB" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I switched to Inno (took only a few hours) and never, ever, ever looked
back. not once.
Same here. Easy transition, quality product, good documentation,
continuously updated. Highly recommended!
Van Swofford
Tybee Jet Corp.