TQuery BUG???

2004-08-27 02:01:06 AM
cppbuilder71
Hello all...
I'm using BDE to access ORACLE database from BCB.
and well in ORACLE, I've got let's say table with fiel1, fiel2, fiel3.
and field3 is let's say empty always.
now let's say I'm accessing that table with DataSource1 and Query1, and put
everything in DBGrid1 so that DBGrid1 has fiel1, field2, field3. "select *
from our_table" baiscally.! and well as we sad fiel3 is always empty.
nothing really complicated!
but later if I just make this
Query1->Close();
Query1->Open();
fiel3 in DBGRid1 get's filled with random information from I don't know
where!
coz if I see the same select * from our_table in PL_SQL developer, it is
still empty.
can anyone tell me if it's known BUG? and how to avoit it????
thanks a lot
P.S and why doesn't refresh method of query work???? does anyonw know?
another known BUG?

Re:TQuery BUG???

George,
What type is Field3, and what kind of random information do you see? Do you
see the same behavior at both design and runtime?
-- YH --

Re:TQuery BUG???

it's only at run-time
and it's of type date
and this is absolutely random string of chars
well anyway something that doesn't exist in database physically!!!
if I check Query1->FielByName("fiel3")->AsString; it's the same. that
means it's not TDBGrid problem it's TQuery problem
really don't want to get into tquery source codes!
someone I'm sure knows the way out

--
Please confine your posts to the newsgroups and DO NOT reply to this
e-mail

{smallsort}

Re:TQuery BUG???

I take my words back about only run-time
it happens in design time as well, if I try to diactivate and activate and
diactivate and activate
many times repeatadly!

news:412e2a4b$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>George,
>
>What type is Field3, and what kind of random information do you see? Do
you
>see the same behavior at both design and runtime?
>
>-- YH --
>

>--
>Please confine your posts to the newsgroups and DO NOT reply to this
e-mail
>account unless asked. Any unsolicted e-mail will be ignored.

Re:TQuery BUG???

select NUM "FAMILY", NAME, to_char(DATE_C) "DATE CREATED", to_char(DATE_D)
"DATE DELETED" from FAMILIES order by NUM
well basically this field3 which I was talking about is this DATE_D
is that possible that actually to_char function returns something wrong???

news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>it's only at run-time
>and it's of type date
>
>and this is absolutely random string of chars
>well anyway something that doesn't exist in database physically!!!
>if I check Query1->FielByName("fiel3")->AsString; it's the same.
that
>means it's not TDBGrid problem it's TQuery problem
>really don't want to get into tquery source codes!
>someone I'm sure knows the way out
>
>"Yu-Chen Hsueh" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>news:412e2a4b$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>>George,
>>
>>What type is Field3, and what kind of random information do you see?
Do
>you
>>see the same behavior at both design and runtime?
>>
>>-- YH --
>>

>>--
>>Please confine your posts to the newsgroups and DO NOT reply to this
>e-mail
>>account unless asked. Any unsolicted e-mail will be ignored.

Re:TQuery BUG???

What if you do this in your SQL statement?
... to_char(to_date(DATE)) ...
-- YH --

Re:TQuery BUG???

Unfortunately it didn't help.
but well I shouldn't need to_date prior to performing to_char because it's
stored as date, and not as char
anyway tried and didn't work.
thanks for help, much appreciate it.