final EXE icon - having trouble

2003-09-06 06:36:00 AM
cppbuilder94
I am using C++Builder 3.0 Professional and I'm creating a little FTP wizard
for which I have created my own icon. I have been able to successfully add
my custom to icon to the main form (Form1), but I can't seem to make my
final EXE have that icon. I went to Project->Options, clicked on the
Application tab, and then selected my custom icon for the Application
Settings, but it still won't work. The icon always ends up being the
default C++ builder icon (you know, the one with the buildings). Any help
is appreciated. Thanks.

Re:final EXE icon - having trouble

Are you able to change the icon through using Windows Explorer.?
John Young

"John Young" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Are you able to change the icon through using Windows Explorer.?
That is not the same thing. That merely sets up an overriding icon using
the Registry. That does onto address the true issue of the desired icon not
being compiled directly into the executable correctly.
Gambit
---

Re:final EXE icon - having trouble

Of course not, my brain hasn't been working too well today...
John

"John Young" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news:3f59eac1$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...
>Are you able to change the icon through using Windows Explorer.?

That is not the same thing. That merely sets up an overriding icon using
the Registry. That does onto address the true issue of the desired icon
not
being compiled directly into the executable correctly.

Gambit

---

Re:final EXE icon - having trouble

I am using C++Builder 3.0 Professional and I'm creating a little FTP wizard
for which I have created my own icon. I have been able to successfully add
my custom to icon to the main form (Form1), but I can't seem to make my
final EXE have that icon. I went to Project->Options, clicked on the
Application tab, and then selected my custom icon for the Application
Settings, but it still won't work. The icon always ends up being the
default C++ builder icon (you know, the one with the buildings). Any help
is appreciated. Thanks.
Often this is because you have added a .rc or .res file to your project
that has the name "projectname.rc/res". The IDE uses projectname.res to
store the icon in it, and they will take turns stomping on each other.
--
Jonathan Arnold C/C++/CBuilder Keen Advice:
www.keen.com/categories/categorylist_expand.asp

Re:final EXE icon - having trouble

Also, I remember from trouble I had with earlier versions of Builder
that I had this trouble if the Sample Components package was checked.
Uncheck it from project->options->packages
Morten Espeland
"Jonathan Arnold" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>I am using C++Builder 3.0 Professional and I'm creating a little FTP
wizard
>for which I have created my own icon. I have been able to successfully
add
>my custom to icon to the main form (Form1), but I can't seem to make my
>final EXE have that icon. I went to Project->Options, clicked on the
>Application tab, and then selected my custom icon for the Application
>Settings, but it still won't work. The icon always ends up being the
>default C++ builder icon (you know, the one with the buildings). Any
help
>is appreciated. Thanks.

Often this is because you have added a .rc or .res file to your project
that has the name "projectname.rc/res". The IDE uses projectname.res to
store the icon in it, and they will take turns stomping on each other.

--
Jonathan Arnold C/C++/CBuilder Keen Advice:
www.keen.com/categories/categorylist_expand.asp
Comprehensive C++Builder link site:
www.buddydog.org/C++Builder/c++builder.html

Re:final EXE icon - having trouble

Project | Options...
Application Tab / Load Icon
dcent
Blake Young wrote:
I am using C++Builder 3.0 Professional and I'm creating a little FTP wizard
for which I have created my own icon. I have been able to successfully add
my custom to icon to the main form (Form1), but I can't seem to make my
final EXE have that icon. I went to Project->Options, clicked on the
Application tab, and then selected my custom icon for the Application
Settings, but it still won't work. The icon always ends up being the
default C++ builder icon (you know, the one with the buildings). Any help
is appreciated. Thanks.

Re:final EXE icon - having trouble

"dcent" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Project | Options...
Application Tab / Load Icon
Just in case you didn't actually read the first message, Blake already did
that, it didn't work for him.
Gambit

Re:final EXE icon - having trouble

"Jonathan Arnold" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
>I am using C++Builder 3.0 Professional and I'm creating a little FTP
wizard
>for which I have created my own icon. I have been able to successfully
add
>my custom to icon to the main form (Form1), but I can't seem to make my
>final EXE have that icon. I went to Project->Options, clicked on the
>Application tab, and then selected my custom icon for the Application
>Settings, but it still won't work. The icon always ends up being the
>default C++ builder icon (you know, the one with the buildings). Any
help
>is appreciated. Thanks.

Often this is because you have added a .rc or .res file to your project
that has the name "projectname.rc/res". The IDE uses projectname.res to
store the icon in it, and they will take turns stomping on each other.
Normally when I have this problem, I go to project|remove from project. I
find the listing for
projectname.res and remove it. The thing is, I never create a resource file
with the project name
because I know this will happen. So Jonathon's advice is correct and
usually works.
But Builder (I think) generates a resource file with the project name. It
seems that this either
incorrectly gets put into the project or the file is somehow corrupted but
in any case, just removing
it from the project seems to solve the problem.
I also think that there was some link to the version info being enabled but
I don't use this feature.

Re:final EXE icon - having trouble

I had the same problem on BCB5. The problem was with the components from the
samples palette. Some of them like CGauge linked the delphi torch icon. When
I removed the component and corresponding #pragma link directive everything
was ok.
Joro