Activate BCB6 (and BDS2006) multiple times on same computer

2006-09-23 06:21:56 AM
cppbuilder27
Quick backstory: My company owns a few licenses of BCB6 for the developers
that use it. I have been mostly in charge of building our release software.
Up until about six months ago I had been doing this on my computer but as
any R&D developer can attest one's computer doesn't always have stable
libraries at any given moment. So, I convinced the powers that be to invest
in a rack-mounted build machine. I perform builds using Remote Desktop. On
this machine I have installed my copy of BCB5, BCB6, and BDS2006. For the
latter two I activated using my licenses ("book" license justification).
Recently we have begun using Active Directory heavily and so I have been set
up to use the build machine using my domain user. Unfortunately, the
installation/activation was performed using the Adminstrator user and now
when I attempt to open the IDE I am asked to activate my copy. I would
simply activate again but I want to get some other experiences of users in
the newsgroup before doing so. For instance, should I just eat up one of my
activations or is there some other registry hack that Borland/DevCo would
have me use ... etc.
Additionally, I would like other developers in my group to be able to
perform a build when required but I do *not* want them logging into the
build machine as admin or as me. If they log in as their domain user they
too will be asked to activate.
TIA,
- Clayton

Re:Activate BCB6 (and BDS2006) multiple times on same computer

The best way to do that is to purchase networked named user or networked
concurrent user licenses and manage them using Borland License Server or
Flexlm.
In your case, registering again to activate the software is the right way to
do it.
Tim
"Clayton Arends" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
[...]

Tim,
I *really* appreciate your response. I had not known about the networked
user licenses. I will investigate this the first chance I get.
Thanks again,
- Clayton

{smallsort}