RAD Studio 2007 vs. C++ Builder 2007

Is Delphi and Delphi for .NET the only difference between RAD Studio 2007
and C++ Builder 2007 by itself (RAD Studio and C++ Builder have separate
pages and trial version installers on codegear.com)? RAD Studio 2007 says:
a.. Includes Delphi, Delphi for .NET and C++Builder
b.. Build AJAX powered websites with ASP.NET 2.0 and VCL for the Web
c.. Blackfish SQL - the managed SQL database with support for Delphi
language stored procedures and triggers
d.. Delphi for .NET language support for parameterized types
C++ Builder also comes with Blackfish SQL. Is it missing "VCL for the Web"?
RAD Studio Pro is $1200, C++ Builder Pro is $900, and Delphi is also $900.
Do you think it's worth it to shell out the extra $300 for the package deal?
Is there a way to get Delphi / RAD Studio cheaper if you already own C++
Builder? The thing is, I'm not a Delphi programmer. I know nothing about it.
But on the chance I may use it in the future, I'm wondering if it's worth
buying RAD Studio (since it looks like you save $600 on the whole package).
Thank,
Jason

Re:RAD Studio 2007 vs. C++ Builder 2007

"Jason Cipriani" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
Is Delphi and Delphi for .NET the only difference between
RAD Studio 2007 and C++ Builder 2007 by itself
RAD Studio has all of the personalities. BCB 2007 is just the C++
personality by itself. Otherwise, they are both the same IDE and compilers.
Do you think it's worth it to shell out the extra $300 for the package
deal?
Do you ever plan on doing any Delphi or .NET developments?
Is there a way to get Delphi / RAD Studio cheaper if you
already own C++ Builder?
Not that I am aware of. You need to ask CodeGear directly about that.
Gambit

Re:RAD Studio 2007 vs. C++ Builder 2007

RAD Studio Pro is $1200, C++ Builder Pro is $900, and Delphi is also $900.
Do you think it's worth it to shell out the extra $300 for the package deal?
Is there a way to get Delphi / RAD Studio cheaper if you already own C++
Builder? The thing is, I'm not a Delphi programmer. I know nothing about it.
But on the chance I may use it in the future, I'm wondering if it's worth
buying RAD Studio (since it looks like you save $600 on the whole package).
I use a lot of third-party components and I find it invaluable to have
the Delphi personality to compile the Delphi components and create the
required BCB files.

{smallsort}

"David Perkins" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
I use a lot of third-party components and I find it invaluable to
have the Delphi personality to compile the Delphi components
and create the required BCB files.
C++ Builder has, and always had, a command-line Pascal compiler that can do
the same thing. You don't need the full Delphi personality if that is all
you are using it for.
Gambit

Re:RAD Studio 2007 vs. C++ Builder 2007

I would personally prefer having both, even though I switched from Delphi
dev to Builder when Builder released v3. However, if you haven't and/or do
not plan to write any delphi code (in general), then you may as well save
your money.
As far as components, like David says, as long as you have the component
source you can use the cmd line compiler, or simply add them to component
library and compile using the IDE. The only time this is an issue is if
using an older delphi component source and having to fix and/or change the
coding dealing with designide/dsgnintf/etc., however, it's still
correctable.

"David Perkins" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
news:4799265c$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...

>I use a lot of third-party components and I find it invaluable to
>have the Delphi personality to compile the Delphi components
>and create the required BCB files.

C++ Builder has, and always had, a command-line Pascal compiler that can
do the same thing. You don't need the full Delphi personality if that is
all you are using it for.

Gambit

Re:RAD Studio 2007 vs. C++ Builder 2007

Thanks for your replies. I didn't really understand what "personalities"
were until now.
"Ron Smith" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
As far as components, like David says, as long as you have the component
source you can use the cmd line compiler,
>C++ Builder has, and always had, a command-line Pascal compiler that can
>do the same thing.
On the topic of command line compilers: So, say I have C++ Builder 2007 only
and I download somebody's Delphi 6 project. I have the following files:
datamod.ddp, .dfm, .pas
FieldDemo.cfg, .dpr, .res
main.ddp, .dfm, .pas
So there's the DFM and Pascal source files; some kind of DPR file (I guess
that's the project file from Delphi 6?). How can I compile this with the
command line compiler? What about Delphi 2007 projects... do the command
line compilers read all of the build settings and dependencies from the
project files (.dproj files, I'm assuming, they look like just project
settings as XML)? Or would I need the full Delphi personality for that kind
of convenience?
I don't think I can actually test this, though. I can run bcc32 (that's the
C/C++ compiler, I guess) and brc32 (the .res resource compiler?) but I can't
run dcc32 (is that the Delphi/Pascal compiler?), because it says "command
line tools not available in trial version" (I thought the command line tools
were free...?).
What's the difference between cpp32 and bcc32? I have them both.
Sorry about all the question marks in this one...
Jason
P.S. Delphi is... a superset of Pascal? Can any Delphi compiler compile
every plain old Pascal program, too?

Jason Cipriani wrote:
I can run bcc32 (that's the C/C++ compiler, I guess)
Yes.
and brc32 (the .res resource compiler?)
Yes.
but I can't run dcc32 (is that the Delphi/Pascal compiler?)
Yes.
because it says "command line tools not available in trial version"
(I thought the command line tools were free...?).
The Version 5.0 C++ tools are free.
The Single-Personality "Explorer" tools are free.
The free tools do not support the full capabilities of the pay versions.
What's the difference between cpp32 and bcc32? I have them both.
cpp32 is the pre-processor.
The very first versions converted C++ into C
so the C compiler could finish the job.
P.S. Delphi is... a superset of Pascal?
It is the Borland version of Pascal, yes.
Can any Delphi compiler compile
every plain old Pascal program, too?
Don't know, but would guess yes.

Re:RAD Studio 2007 vs. C++ Builder 2007

>What's the difference between cpp32 and bcc32? I have them both.

cpp32 is the pre-processor.
The very first versions converted C++ into C
so the C compiler could finish the job.
FWIW:
The preprocessor came with the product even back when only C was the
language supported. Its use is sometimes vital in figuring out what is
going on since it creates a file showing the output after all macro are
processed and with which one can see from which file and line number an item
came and which can then be compiled.
. Ed
Bob Gonder wrote in message
news: XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...