Just a general observation...

2007-08-22 09:46:06 AM
cppbuilder67
I may be shot down in flames here, am i'm probably guilty of it myself to a
degree, but there seems to be an ever increasing number of posts to
newsgroups that have nothing to do with the subject or problem (as I'm sure
someone will suggest this is).
There's TThread questions in .language.cpp groups, std queries in .nativeapi
group and database / Indy questions in the vcl.components.using groups.
Please do no think for one minute that i'm some {*word*7}newsgroup'er, it just
seems that people are not adhering to the posting rules. The groups are
segregated so that you get the best expert advice in that particular area.
As it stands, the BCB newsgroups are a perfect area to research and learn
from information that has been previously posted and thus shared, but in the
long run, the quality of information will become diluted and lost as we will
end up with random posts in the most active groups. What i mean by this is
that if you have a problem, and start searching for relevant posts in the
most pertinent group, chances are you will miss important information that
my have been posted in reply to a problem or question that was raised in the
wrong group. The end result is that the best information is scattered
around several groups and you have to spend an age reading irrelevant posts
or simply repeat post the same question again.
The .activex, .database.ado and .internet.web groups are all active and are
more suited to some of these specific posts.
Anyway, just an observation - hope I don't get anyone's back up...
Mike C

Re:Just a general observation...

"Mike Collins" <its@TheBottomOfThePost>writes:
I may be shot down in flames here, am i'm probably guilty of it
myself to a degree, but there seems to be an ever increasing number
of posts to newsgroups that have nothing to do with the subject or
problem (as I'm sure someone will suggest this is).
Agreed. If there were statistics, they might indicate that a
substantial amount of my posts are requests for people to post their
questions to the most appropriate newsgroup.
BTW, I think that yours would best have been posted to .non-technical
:-)
There's TThread questions in .language.cpp groups, std queries in
.nativeapi group and database / Indy questions in the
vcl.components.using groups.
I'm not sure where TThread questions should go, but I don't think that
.language.cpp is the worst place for them.
As for std questions in here, you are right, and I am even guilty of
responding to one of them recently rather than asking for it to be
moved. When I did, I *thought* I actually was in .language.cpp, and
later, I found it was too late to take measures.

"Thomas Maeder [TeamB]" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >wrote in message
"Mike Collins" <its@TheBottomOfThePost>writes:

I'm not sure where TThread questions should go, but I don't think that
.language.cpp is the worst place for them.

How about .cppbuilder.vcl.components.using...
Or should that be .delphi.vcl.components.using?

{smallsort}

"dhoke" < XXXX@XXXXX.COM >writes:
>I'm not sure where TThread questions should go, but I don't think that
>.language.cpp is the worst place for them.

How about .cppbuilder.vcl.components.using...

Or should that be .delphi.vcl.components.using?
If the question really is about multithreading, then .language.cpp is
ok. If the question is about how to use a class facilitating
multithreading, then I agree with you.
AND: we are definitely off topic in this newsgroup, so please let's
end this thread with this. If anybody wishes to discuss this topic
further, please continue over in .non-technical. Thanks!

XXXX@XXXXX.COM (Thomas Maeder [TeamB]) wrote:

[...] BTW, I think that yours would best have been posted
to .non-technical :-)
LOL!
~ JD

"Mike Collins" <its@TheBottomOfThePost>wrote:

[...] i'm probably guilty of it myself to a degree,
How could that be? Perhaps because you're asking because you
don't understand something (duh)?
[...] seems to be an ever increasing number of posts to
newsgroups that have nothing to do with the subject
For complex issues, if one understands enough to ask in the
correct group the one understands enough to (in most cases)
google the answer without posting or posts a more specific
question to the correct group. For example, the VCL group
gets many questions about TComboBox. (probably) more than
half of the solutions are API related because TComboBox is
just a wrapper around an MS control.
OTOH, if all TComboBox questions were asked in the .api group,
I'd expect that the percentage of 'correcly gouped' questions
would increase but for that to happen requires a better
understanding by the user but that's a Catch22 ... if they
knew then they wouldn't have to ask.
However, there are those that need to be told and told again
and again.
I have always objected to a blunt 'You're posting in the wrong
group' (without a 'but since you're here' explaination). I
think that a reminder to post to the most appropriate group is
called for but ISTM that the guys who complain about it without
offering a solution (or saying that they have none) do not
demonstrate a patience that I'm quite sure that others
demonstrated to them in their earlier years.
Please do no think for one minute that i'm some anal
newsgroup'er,
Well ... that's the nature of the beast. If you ain't anal
then you ain't a programmer because that's a requirement.
it just seems that people are not adhering to the posting
rules.
I haven't been around that long either but my experiance
about the rules depends more on the OP's understanding;
not just of the rules but also on the OP's understand of
of the issue. If it's a TComboBox, should it be posted to
the VCL group or the api group? Odds say the api group
but because it's a 'T'ComboBox, that makes it VCL.
Get my point?
~ JD

Re:Just a general observation...

FWIW:
When someone posts in the wrong group I usually ignore it because of the
issues you cite. Most questions have elements from several groups.
Occasionally, after the guts of my reply I add words to the effect that a
different group would have been better for the question.
However when it is too far off, such as a C++ Builder question in the
Borland C++ group I just tell them that people familiar with the product in
question can be found over in the other group(s).
. Ed
news:46ce18a0$ XXXX@XXXXX.COM ...